Tables/Lookup (1 Viewer)

LadyDiss

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:13
I am trying to create a database with for clients that have a first name last name field and also they will have a state and location field ... however, I want it to lookup, if I pick a state, only show me the locations available in that state (there are over 100 locations for 3 states) ... how would I do this? I want the State as a drop down and the locations?

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:13
I believe that what you are after are cascading combos based on two tables (Tbl_States and Tbl_Locations) with a one (Tbl_States) to many (Tbl_Locations) realtionship.
If you do a search on 'cascading combo' you will find many threads indicating how to set this up.

LadyDiss

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:13
I've tried and tried to set up the cascading combo, but obviously keep doing something wrong. Do I need a DatasheetResults type table to tie everything together? Or can I just skip that and allow it to do it in the form? What is the most efficient way? thanks.

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:13
Since you did not provide details about the strucutre of your db I am assuming that you have 3 tables at least:

Tbl_Customers
- CustomerID (autonumber PK)
- CustomerLocationID (foreign long integer key from Tbl_Locations
)
- OtherDetailFields...

Tbl_States
- StateID (autonumber PK)
- StateName (string)

Tbl_Locations
- Location ID (autonumber PK)
- StateID (foreign long integer key from Tbl_Locations
- LocationName (string)

Relationships:
Tbl_States: 1___Many: Tbl_Locations : 1___Many: Tbl_Customers

Your form is supposedly based on Tbl_Customers
Your first combo is unbound and uses Tbl_States as recordsource
Your second combo is bound to the CustomerLocationID filed in Tbl_Customers and uses a query based on Tbl_Locations
as recordsource with a where clause referring to
Forms!YourFormName!YourComboStateName

In the after update event of Your 'State' combo you requery the 'Location' combo. You also do that from the OnCurrent event of your form.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom