Solved Text Size

Space Cowboy

Local time
Today, 08:23
How can I make the writing bigger on the screen?

I can hardly see all the comma's and dots.

Most text boxes and other text-oriented display things have a property called .FontSize that can make text look bigger or smaller on screen.

Warning: The font size property uses points, which is a publisher's unit, not a display unit derived directly from resolution settings.

By that publisher's standard, 1 inch = 72 points. It is theoretically possible for Access to address something in twips (a modern typographical length unit), where 1 inch = 1440 twips. If you do the math, a twip is 1/20th of a point. That twip is the smallest display unit you can specify.

Twips and points are used because Microsoft cannot rely on a particular screen resolution from one user to the next. So when something is given over to the display rendering code, it knows the current screen resolution settings and it knows the typographical size. It computes where each pixel goes and how it looks. It is not well appreciated any more, but when you use a True-Type font or anything more modern than that, you are looking at something that computes the shape of the letter based on input font size, vectors, and space-fill options. It has been decades since a non-True Type font was commonly used. The versatility of such fonts comes about because they are drawn as vectors to build lines or shapes that get filled in during rendering.

I though the O/P was talking about the actual size in development, which would mean using Display Settings and Scale to make them larger?
Or buy a bigger monitor. :)

Ha Ha, I have three monitors set up. two 20" and a 24" at top.

I want the whole page bigger.
Are there no accessibility options?

I have changed the resoloution to 125% and black background and that has helped a bit

Ha Ha, I have three monitors set up. two 20" and a 24" at top.

Are there no accessibility options?
Just to clarify, are you talking about while designing the form or while using it? As for settings, have you tried Display Settings and adjust Scaling?

Oops, just a little slow...

You can design a page to be bigger. However, be warned that you cannot design a form, report, or section where either vertical or horizontal length exceeds 22.75 inches. If you do the math of twips per inch x 22.75, you find it is 32760 twips. The Access section, form, and report limits cannot exceed 32767, which is 2^15th - 1, the largest INTEGER number. Which perhaps tells you how section, form, and report sizes are stored. NOTE that in reports, that limit ONLY applies to single sections. But since you can stack sections vertically, you can build some very large reports. Just not exceeding wide ones.

Using Windows Accessibility options is another way you can make things bigger. Windows Accessibility appears to ignore that limit visually, but what is really happening is that Windows is doing the up-scaling after the Access images are rendered normally. So, for example, if you built something with 72-point text (one inch tall) and then did a Windows Accessibility upscale of 25%, the letters would be, say, 1.25 inches tall. But access would still treat it like it was 1 inch. That is because the Accessibility upscale occurs outside of Access.

As a minutiae of detail, monitors use pixel dimensions which are larger than twips - there are 15 twips to a pixel.

so when specifying control location/size, use a twip value that is divisible by 15. Otherwise with rounding you may find on the screen they are out by a pixel. There are 96 pixels to an inch so around 1/100th of an inch. Very small but the eye can still see it.

As a minutiae of detail, monitors use pixel dimensions which are larger than twips - there are 15 twips to a pixel.

so when specifying control location/size, use a twip value that is divisible by 15. Otherwise with rounding you may find on the screen they are out by a pixel. There are 96 pixels to an inch so around 1/100th of an inch. Very small but the eye can still see it.

CJ, I believe you are assuming a specific class of monitor when you make that statement. Some very high-res monitors can do better than that, particularly if they have advanced GPUs.

CJ, I believe you are assuming a specific class of monitor when you make that statement. Some very high-res monitors can do better than that, particularly if they have advanced GPUs.
possibly. i have heard of monitors that have 144 pixels per inch and over the years I have used numerous monitors including hi end - all have worked out at 15 pixels per twip. You would have to use the getDC , ReleaseDC and GetDeviceCaps functions to be certain.

In reply to post #8, if you increase the scaling factor to e.g 125% in Windows Settings, it makes text / windows look bigger by reducing the effective screen resolution. The physical limits in twips remain the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom