Textbox Validation based on a query (1 Viewer)

Cowlers

Access Virgin
Local time
Yesterday, 23:34
Hi All,

I have a textbox on a subform to allow a delivery qty to be entered (to allow me to cater for part deliveries). I have a query which totals up the values of this field (so that I have a total of all the deliveries for this record) and compares that value against another field (to check that the total deliveries I have entered do not total more than the ordered qty). I am using this query within the "Validation Rule" of the textbox. My problem is that when I enter the values for the first time this works fine because the figures are not yet part of the query and therefore the check works fine, however if I try to modify a figure I've already entered it triggers the validation each time because it tries to add the new value to the query total. Is there a way that I can avoid this problem?

Many thanks,

Dan

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 08:34
Use the text box's BeforeUpdate event - much more freedom to do anything. Cancel the update if unhappy with input. Look the event up in the docs.

Cowlers

Access Virgin
Local time
Thanks for your reply spikepl,

Because I am looking at the sum of the particular field I am entering I believe I need to capture the old value and the new input as I need to deduct the old value and then add the new value to prevent the query from taking both into account. Does this sound correct? If so is there a way to capture the old value in the before update event?

Many thanks,

Dan

Cowlers

Access Virgin
Local time
Found the answer in the end, bit of coding from Microsoft after searching on google,

Cheers,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom