The Australian voice referendum (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:22
Well it's a bit late now but I'm puzzled. I've heard nothing at all about this here in the UK.

I found a video clip with an explanation by a sky reporter so I'm a little more informed than I was half an hour ago!

I gather the referendum was to give the indigenous people, the aborigines if I'm allowed to call them that, I have no idea it might be a slur these days!

They were to be recognised as a group, a political party maybe? To give them powers in the Australian political system.

Cotswold

Local time
As I understand it as a group they are to have representatives in government and be consulted on issues affecting them. However, whilst they will be heard they will have no powers to veto or change any proposed issues. So it all seems a little pointless. What I can't understand is that if Aboriginal Australians will have no powers about anything more than they have now. So why get exited about it? But the Australians are up in arms about the proposals. So I'm as confused as you are Uncle.

It's a bit like giving Wales and Scotland their own tin-pot governments to play about with and then saying whatever you decide we'll totally ignore you and do it as we think best. Which is really as it should be like but isn't.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Me and Her Indoors lived in Oz during the 70's and the Abbo's were treated like sh*te by the Aussie people. We lived near an Abbo settlement and got to know quite a few, they were friendly and welcoming, probably because we were English. We couldn't understand what the problem was but likened it to the Yanks and Red Indian fiasco.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:22
The referendum was to make a change to the Australian Constitution.
“A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice.
Do you approve this proposed alteration?”

The Voice will be an independent, representative body for First Nations peoples.
  • It would advise the Australian Parliament and the Government.
  • It would give First Nations peoples a say on matters that affect them.
To be approved, the overall voting electorate had to vote yes as well as the majority of those voting in each state had to be in majority.

It was a resounding No vote. The majority of electors in each state voted no.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:22
It was simply to form a constitutionally recognised body that would advise the parliament on matters of legislation that affected aboriginal people. It would have no power at all. Australia is unusual in that the government has the authority to pass legislation specifically pertaining to aboriginal people that does not apply to the whole population, yet the aboriginal people have no formal role in that process.

Campaigners from both sides, but especially the No campaign, indulged in disinformation. It was rather horrible and I'm glad it is over. Hopefully, the gloating of the No campaigners and the vitriol of the Yes campaigners will eventually subside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom