The grass is always greener.... (1 Viewer)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:30
Spending a while contemplating the nature of the universe, where would you rather be?

Having spent 2 visits to to Sweden at the peak of their summer, this is my choice. Consistently one of the highest living standards in the world, and yet one of the highest suicide rates - what's the catch? On holidays, in perfect weather, one is it is easy to get a false impression, but I would like to live there to see the real conditions

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 03:30
is there unemployment rate lower than 10%? if so, I'm in

on second thought, I'd like to go live with the vegans, like in the movie contact. they seem to have it good.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
No idea, but here in sunny (drought riddled) Australia, it is under 6

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
And as a bye the bye, you Yanks caused this mess, don't whinge to us that you are paying the greatest penalty

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Gladly (but the temptation was too great) Don't pass it on, but I had a really good time in New Orleans & Chicago

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 01:30
Whats wrong with NSW which does fairly well in the charts too doesn't it?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
According the the most recent United Nations Human Development Index Sweden is in the top 10... but Australia was in second place so perhaps one of the criteria is having somewhere better to go for a two week visit...

Spending a while contemplating the nature of the universe, where would you rather be?

Having spent 2 visits to to Sweden at the peak of their summer, this is my choice. Consistently one of the highest living standards in the world, and yet one of the highest suicide rates - what's the catch? On holidays, in perfect weather, one is it is easy to get a false impression, but I would like to live there to see the real conditions

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Hey, I'm not complaining, just I guess the human condition of wanting something you haven't got

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
David, I'm glad you enjoyed my home city of New Orleans. In winter, it can be quite pleasant. Maybe three or four times a year we get a real chill. Other times, we fluctuate from low 40s (F) to low or mid 60s. Light sweater weather.

Hope you had a chance to try some of our signature seafood.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
My grandmother is from Ville Platte and she makes the best chicken and sausage gumbo in the world! Man I love it.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Now there is aplace that people REALLY know how to be hospitable and throw an excellent party... GREAT music and I love Acadian and Cajun cooking.... mmmmmmmm
David, I'm glad you enjoyed my home city of New Orleans. In winter, it can be quite pleasant. Maybe three or four times a year we get a real chill. Other times, we fluctuate from low 40s (F) to low or mid 60s. Light sweater weather.

Hope you had a chance to try some of our signature seafood.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 09:30

It is a common myth that Sweden has a high suicide rate. It appears higher because many accidental deathsare included as self deaths in their stats. The swedish suicide rate is much lower than the the finnish one.

Leffe78

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:30

I think you visited us at the best possible time then :)
The standards are good, but I'm sure that will degenerate with this government selling out everything to private interests.
Regarding the weather it is not that great during the winter and early spring... lots of rain, overcast days and a window of only a few hours of sunlight.

Personally I kind of like these late autum-/winter-/early spring-weather but I belong to a minority.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
I KNOW I got very lucky with the weather, there for a total of 7 days and 7 days of perfect weather!!!

I'm sure that will degenerate with this government selling out everything to private interests. - Don't make our mistakes, years ago our government spent a huge amount of money, time & effort to sell off our nationalised phone network

Now, they are spending an exponentially larger amount to buy it back because they have realised if they want to improve broadband, the private company (note the singular) has them over a barrell

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 09:30
The standards are good, but I'm sure that will degenerate with this government selling out everything to private interests.
Regarding the weather it is not that great during the winter and early spring... lots of rain, overcast days and a window of only a few hours of sunlight.

Personally I kind of like these late autum-/winter-/early spring-weather but I belong to a minority.

I've always been lucky when I visited Sweden, but have always been in the south. Each time in the winter and each time only sunshine, chilly but sunny. It reminded me of Scotland ;)

The people too are so very friendly in Sweden! I loved working there. Great place.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 04:30

I owe my life to Swedish engineers.
I'm on my third Volvo, and had a Saab.

Leffe78

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:30
I've always been lucky when I visited Sweden, but have always been in the south. Each time in the winter and each time only sunshine, chilly but sunny. It reminded me of Scotland ;)

The people too are so very friendly in Sweden! I loved working there. Great place.

Oh, you shot try the north... it's beautiful in the winter! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom