That would depend on if you classed golf as a sport, surely?:D
Crickey its Tiger on our forum:p

Brian

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Yesterday, 17:54
msp said:
GMLWORLDCHUMP - what is with this "them and us" attitude! You are very confusing.

You guys are great!

I'll be sure to set aside some candy for you all come Halloween since you guys are ALWAYS in costume!...oh yeah, !?#?$??!...

That's "cartoon-ease" for cussing because you guys all remind me and many, many others here of cartoon characters!:D

msp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:54
To get back to the original topic.

I remember hearing a story about an officer during the battle of Waterloo. He was in charge of some canons, He saw a canon on the opposite site fire at hi position, realising that he was about to be killed by the cannon ball he decided the most honourable thing to do was stand to attention and salute and die like an officer, which is what he did as he watched the cannon ball hurtle towards him. The ball landed one meter to his site killing six of his men.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
msp said:
To get back to the original topic.

I remember hearing a story about an officer during the battle of Waterloo. He was in charge of some canons, He saw a canon on the opposite site fire at hi position, realising that he was about to be killed by the cannon ball he decided the most honourable thing to do was stand to attention and salute and die like an officer, which is what he did as he watched the cannon ball hurtle towards him. The ball landed one meter to his site killing six of his men.
Yeah. . . . . .go on. . . . . . whats the punchline:confused:

or is it supposed to be true? if so, a cannonball landing 1 metre to his "site" or side? would kill him also - wouldn't it? also if he had time to think of all these things, why didn't he get out the way a bit sharpish?

your point being?. . . . . . . .how much of a tit this geezer is?

Col

msp

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Yeah. . . . . .go on. . . . . . whats the punchline:confused:

or is it supposed to be true? if so, a cannonball landing 1 metre to his "site" or side? would kill him also - wouldn't it? also if he had time to think of all these things, why didn't he get out the way a bit sharpish?

your point being?. . . . . . . .how much of a tit this geezer is?

Col

The point was that he chose to die with honour (his version) rather than get out of the way, and hif he had moved to the side he would have prob have been killed.

It is meant to be true.

I presume with a cannon ball it does not explode, if it landed beside you, you would be ok

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
he has been asked by Kenny what GML stands for, ...
My best guess is "Gloria Mathews, Ltd", which is a company in Omaha that does commercial printing and also has a sports collectibles and equipment division. I'm guessing the company sponsors some sort of golf championship which GMLWORLDCHAMP either has won or fancies himself a winner of one day.

msp

Registered User.
Local time
I have to be careful in case I am asked was MSP stands for. (In truth it was just three random letters) and I am not a Member of the Scottish Parliament.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
msp said:
I have to be careful in case I am asked was MSP stands for. (In truth it was just three random letters) and I am not a Member of the Scottish Parliament.

Makes Silly Pronouncements

;) :D sorry couldn't resist it

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Kraj said:
My best guess is "Gloria Mathews, Ltd", which is a company in Omaha that does commercial printing and also has a sports collectibles and equipment division. I'm guessing the company sponsors some sort of golf championship which GMLWORLDCHAMP either has won or fancies himself a winner of one day.
so where is Gloria this afternoon? off trying to think up more instances of how the US has stopped us from speaking German I s'pose:rolleyes:

Actually I was wondering if his name was Mike:eek: :eek: (Gloria's - not MSP)

Col

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 09:24
msp said:
Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers didn't last long in Australia nor in Colombia. Nine restaurants were picked up in Victoria by Hungry Jack's in 1986 after the Wendy's Hamburger Chain went bust. The Hungry Jack's Story explains in limited detail about the Wendy's Hamburgers acquisition. Stores in Australia called Wendy's are an Australian ice cream franchise which is unrelated to the American hamburger chain (stores for both are found in New Zealand. See Wendy's (Australia).
I didn't know we ever had Wendy's burgers here - maybe the 9 in Victoria was all they had. Wendy's icecream, on the other hand, are in every shopping centre...
and Hungry Jack's is just the local version of Burger King (though they now have both in Sydney and/or Melbourne)

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Our other favorite...

ColinEssex said:
so where is Gloria this afternoon? off trying to think up more instances of how the US has stopped us from speaking German I s'pose:rolleyes:

Actually I was wondering if his name was Mike:eek: :eek: (Gloria's - not MSP)

Col

Hey everyone...it's...Colin of Essex...(clap sign lights)...

Yeah Col...between you and Rich, he's still our favorite "cartoon" but you are a very close 2nd...very much like code for the bathroom; he's #1 and you're #2!:p

...so ends the lesson because that is by far, more clever than you two could ever hope to be!?#?$?!:p

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:54
Back to honour (honor)

To revert, rather boringly :D , to the original thread subject, I think honour is doing what you believe to be right regardless of the potential negative consequences to yourself or those around you: i.e. when it is not 'easy' to do the right thing.

Is this innate or acquired? Well, a bit of bit of both I think. There is a theory of moral development that has six stages. The highest stage, Principled Conscience, seems to me to be the same as acting honorably. If you follow this theory, then honour is definitely acquired.

It is a very interesting theory and can give an insight when we see reprehensible behaviour in others (or even ourselves :D ). It is quite often easy to spot where somebody 'stalled' on the path!

Kohlberg's classification can be outlined in the following manner:
Pre-conventional Level
Stage 1) Obedience and Punishment
Stage 2) Individualism, Instrumentalism, and Exchange

Conventional Level
Stage 3) "Good boy/girl"
Stage 4) Law and Order

Post-conventional
Stage 5) Social Contract
Stage 6) Principled Conscience

Google for more. Hope this wasn't to boring and was fairly relevant to the thread.

Regards,

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
GMLWORLDCHAMP! said:
Hey everyone...it's...Colin of Essex...(clap sign lights)...

Yeah Col...between you and Rich, he's still our favorite "cartoon" but you are a very close 2nd...very much like code for the bathroom; he's #1 and you're #2!:p

...so ends the lesson because that is by far, more clever than you two could ever hope to be!?#?$?!:p
Boo! All that ranting and you didn't confirm whether I was right about Gloria Matthews, Ltd???!!! I want to know! :mad:

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time

Kraj said:
Boo! All that ranting and you didn't confirm whether I was right about Gloria Matthews, Ltd???!!! I want to know! :mad:

Yes, very sorry...I was ranting but in response to constant irreverence so I had no choice!

My "GML" doesn't stand for "Gloria..." or "Gone Mad Lately"...

I was running a golf league out here in Denver for a company back in '91 and a very attractive young lady commented later to me that she thought I looked "quite the golf professional"...:D

Anyway, after dating for some time, we were talking about when we first met and I asked her about her 1st impressions and she reiterated and added, "you looked like a real Golf Machine." So, Golf Machine Limited was born!

...I'm happy to add more in my golf threads! - Sports Forum...

Back to this thread...your honor!:cool:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Yesterday, 19:54
Rich said:
Something that Bush and his cronies are totally devoid of
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5329350.stm :rolleyes:

Old News.

We have known for over 18 months, or maybe even more than 2 years, that the intelligence community was against this invasion, and that the administration "doctored" the evidence.

This whole Iraqi thing is very sad, but you still need a new tune.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
GMLWORLDCHAMP! said:
Yes, very sorry...I was ranting but in response to constant irreverence so I had no choice!
No prob. Thanks for the explanation; I feel much better now! :p :D

Worley

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:54
Honor, to me, is doing what is right, for the right reasons, even when noone else will ever notice. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am new, so hopefully I will be forgiven. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom