The Pending Crises (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Aluminum requires 1/10 of the energy and cost to recycle.
And once again Europe leads the way in recycling, America as usual falls well behind the rest

America Recycles Day is an excellent tool for raising awareness, but it’s critical that we recycle every day of the year,” said Kate Krebs, Executive Director of the National Recycling Coalition. “If we recycled every used aluminum can in the U.S., we would save an amount of energy equivalent to 30 million barrels of oil per year. That’s enough to run 82 million U.S. households for 24 hours, cook 39 billion microwave dinners, or vacuum one billion homes for a year.”

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 10:23
we don't have "aloominum" here - we have the real thing. . . . . . aluminium;)

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 05:23
Rich said:
And once again Europe leads the way in recycling, America as usual falls well behind the rest

It depends on which city; some of the American cities are very advanced in recycling. This is a local issue for us, not a national one.

So when you listen to your commy, pinko, ultra left, America hating BBC (well maybe they’re not all those things but to hear you guys talk, they sure seem like it) you probably don’t hear much about our local governments.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
It depends on which city; some of the American cities are very advanced in recycling. This is a local issue for us, not a national one.

So when you listen to your commy, pinko, ultra left, America hating BBC (well maybe they’re not all those things but to hear you guys talk, they sure seem like it) you probably don’t hear much about our local governments.
Funny how you see the saving of the planet as a commy issue:rolleyes: and dismiss it as a local issue

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Funny how you see the saving of the planet as a commy issue:rolleyes: and dismiss it as a local issue

Not at all I, do not see conservation as anything like a liberal or left issue. As a mater of fact it is one of the major complaints I have about the republicans for the last 15 years they have made it into a party issue to destroy the Demos.

The commy comment was directed at your seemingly inability to get any American facts straight. So in keeping with your lead, I decided to take its position to extremes.

In Prince William county, here in Virginia (and for most of the Mid Atlantic population) we take recycling very seriously and in fact it is part of our local laws. You can’t really expect places like west Texas and Montana to be as committed to it considering they have millions of square miles of land to create land fills.

And as you indicated earlier, not all recycling is of provable benefit. I chose Aluminum because it actually does. It’s the same with iron products, but the entire global economy is geared to recycle steel and aluminum.

It’s the plastics to which you are referring, and as I said many local communities in America do a good job at that.

R

Rich

It's not enough to act on a local basis, this needs national direction, however as we've seen on so many other issues, you refuse to act on a national level. Except when you want to go to war, that is

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
It's not enough to act on a local basis, this needs national direction, however as we've seen on so many other issues, you refuse to act on a national level. Except when you want to go to war, that is

That’s because in our country we have strong local government. Why don’t you abandon your parliament in deference to a single all encompassing Federal European one?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The BBC doesn't hate America. But there are many programmes on TV that make fun of America, Americans (about being obese usually) and ridicule its policies etc.
One such programme is "Have I Got News For You" - very funny satire programme.

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:

I do agree however that one of the failings of our current political structure has been the neglect of the federal government to enforce our nation’s laws.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
That’s because in our country we have strong local government. Why don’t you abandon your parliament in deference to a single all encompassing Federal European one?
We do have a European parliament. But to abandon ours??? The British wouldn't put up with being told what to do by the French:eek: Anyway, we have a monarchy, much to the annoyance of the French:D

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
The BBC doesn't hate America. But there are many programmes on TV that make fun of America, Americans (about being obese usually) and ridicule its policies etc.
One such programme is "Have I Got News For You" - very funny satire programme.

Col

I know Col, some of our best news coverage comes from the BBC. And as is my want I’ll take another pause to plug my favorite news organization.
NPR and PRI.

PRI does a lot of joint ventures with the BBC, some of the most informed and balanced coverage available.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 02:23
Seems to be a lot of venom in some of these comments,
Part of the problem with the US is its size a country of this size will always have problems dealing with the enviroment, some States will bemore advanced than others in their approach, pretty much the same as some Euro Countries are ahead of the UK, Holland is further ahead then the UK, but it is a smaller country and as such easier to administer any implication

However this does not let us or the US off the hook, we should be looking at reducing our footprint and increasing our awareness or recycling

what may work in the UK , may not in the USA - as an example
the UK has the ability to have wave power being an island , this is not an option for some of the states (no coastline), so a a stroke of the pen they do not have this as an option, Solar energy in the Southern states will probably work better than in Scotland/Wales ,
you need to pick the right course for the assets/resourses you have.

In part the States does get a bad press and this is in part down to onesided presentation of the news (it happens both sides of the pond).
however after seeing some comments from the leaders - this is not a good representation of America (not that Blair is a good one for us).

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 18:53
ColinEssex said:
Anyway, we have a monarchy, much to the annoyance of the French:D
They can blame their ancestors for that, chopping all the royalty's heads off...
Come to think of it, didn't Cromwell do something similar in England? The difference being, he then found an heir to put back on the throne.

R

Rich

Adeptus said:
They can blame their ancestors for that, chopping all the royalty's heads off...
Come to think of it, didn't Cromwell do something similar in England? The difference being, he then found an heir to put back on the throne.
I thought Cromwell was dead when the monarchy was restored:confused:

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Rich said:
I thought Cromwell was dead when the monarchy was restored:confused:
Not sure... if he wasn't around to see it, he at least put the wheels in motion

R

Rich

Adeptus said:
Not sure... if he wasn't around to see it, he at least put the wheels in motion
I'm curious as to how you arrive at that conclusion

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Rich said:
I'm curious as to how you arrive at that conclusion
my (possibly faulty?) memory of a documentary I watched?

edit: Looks like I misremembered...
wikipedia said:
He was succeeded as Lord Protector by his son Richard. Although Richard was not entirely without ability, he had no power base in either Parliament or the Army, and was forced to resign in the spring of 1659, bringing the Protectorate to an end. A year later Parliament restored Charles II as king.
I thought Charles II came immediately after Cromwell.

Last edited:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:23
Rich said:
So what ever happend about this (from 2003)

The Government is failing to significantly improve the UK's appalling recycling record, new figures reveal today [1]. The 2001/2002 Municipal Waste Management Survey coincides with the publication of a report from a committee of MPs [2] on the future of waste management which describes the Government as "too timid" and says that "despite warm words from Defra ministers, the Department does not seem to have a real sense of where it wants to go".

New Government statistics show that household recycling rose by around 1 per cent - from 11.2 per cent to 12.4 per cent - leaving the UK languishing near the bottom of Europe's recycling league table [3]. At the current rate of progress environment minister Michael Meacher will be celebrating his hundredth birthday by the time the UK recycles half its waste [4].

Friends of the Earth is calling on the Government to take urgent action to dramatically improve the UK's performance by supporting a private members Bill, introduced by Joan Ruddock MP and currently going through Parliament, which, if passed, would lead to comprehensive doorstep recycling across the country

R

Rich

Old news and in any case I said Europe, that's where we are by the way, in Europe

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Europe, that's where we are by the way, in Europe

Only when it serves your purpose.

You know, I finally figured you out, you’re jealous of American politicians because you’re just at swarmy as they are; but they get all the money and the girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom