The USSR Shopping Experience Resurrected (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:14
My wife just returned from the grocery stores. Every-time my wife and I return from a (grocery) shopping extravaganza we quiz each other over the items we found or could not find, including reviewing the various stores visited in the hopes that they might have our missing items for sale. I wonder how much our extra driving in search of stuff adds to "global warming"?:unsure:

PS: The negative shopping experiences are really only minor irritants, nothing to complain about. For now they provide an opportunity for discussing our little adventures and raise a small humorous smirk. Marital counselors would find this extra communication beneficial.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:14
Yep, we've noticed that most of our favorite items are back on the shelves. Missing two things, though. Our favorite brand of cinnamon sugar (best used on baked sweet potatoes with butter) is not available at three of our favorite stores. And there is a product called "Butter Buds" that is used to impart a buttery flavor to something without increasing its fat/grease level. Other than that, we've only been seeing spot absences that resolve themselves by the next shopping trip.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Other than that, we've only been seeing spot absences that resolve themselves by the next shopping trip.
does this mean that the shipping and logistics crisis is coming to an end soon?/

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:14
Other than that, we've only been seeing spot absences that resolve themselves by the next shopping trip.
Good point. Same for us, these are mostly "spot absences that resolve themselves by the next shopping trip."

does this mean that the shipping and logistics crisis is coming to an end soon?/
God question, but don't have an answer. But one could assume that if the product is made in the USA (without imported foreign materials), that it may not be affected by the logistics crunch.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:14
Availability and pricing is what I'm looking at. Anybody buy meat lately? We have plenty of meat for twice the price 😉

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The other day I read a story on Fox news, about a story on CNN news, about a Stotler family in a Texas town who has 9 kids (most of them adopted or foster BTW, bless their hearts for their giving and helping attitude toward their fellow man). When CNN interviewed the family, they were talking about inflation affecting their grocery bill. How things were a lot more expensive. A LOT of liberals mocked them roundly for this, as the mother mentioned they buy 12 gallons of milk a week. (Most of the mockers failed to check the fact that they had a family of ELEVEN, mostly kids).

Anyway, the mother mentioned that milk used to be 1.99, and now is $2.79, and things like that add up to make a difference.

A lot of mockers questioned that, with some (of course), going to the internet to prove that the average cost of milk had not increased.

The little thing that caught my attention was many mockers who said "milk hasn't been 1.99 since the 1970s".

I thought that comment was especially retarded, because every area and store and deals are different, so nobody can say what another person pays for milk.

And I have gotten a gallon of milk at Walmart for <$2 a MILLION TIMES.......So their derision of her wasn't warranted.

Just the idiocy of someone rushing off to Google "How Much Does Milk Cost", thinking the top 3 results can answer all questions, and thinking they can tell me how much I actually paid last week for milk........is such a dumb result of our information overload generations.

It just rubbed me the wrong way. When you adopt or foster children, you are doing a major labor of love. It can involve MANY problems, complications, struggles, and working things out that would never have been required of you otherwise. I respect the act of fostering or adopting a child similar to respect for people in full-time charitable ministries - but even more, because for foster parents there's no going home at the end of the day - you already are home, and your little Labors of Love are there 24/7.

Obviously the above comment doesn't apply to people who are awful foster parents, just using it as a form of welfare, and I don't dispute they exist, because I've known them.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
When Adam said "it was going for 5 usd a pound at wal mart" I turned to my wife and ask how much is ground beef? She said about $5lb with the exceptions for leanness and grade. I just know beer is about the same price but my favorite cut of steak has doubled. I haven't bought a steak for a while, not because I can't, I just won't until it becomes more reasonable.

conception_native_0123

Local time
@Isaac

The story about 12 gallons of milk and that family has been trending on Google all day now:

Screenshot_20211105-172343_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom