The_Doc_Man is off for a while

Send a little water westward!

Would that I could. I would GLADLY share, but we don't get a say in which way the wind blows. All we know is that it blows - which paradoxically, sometimes sucks.

Over here we only know about the occasional bad weather. We just do not experience extreme weather.
If it blows a candle out on Tower Bridge, the BBC are reporting high winds in London and the South East. Followed by instructions not to travel unless essential. But as the Doc said wherever you live in the USA there are extremes. It is maybe just a matter of picking which one suits you best.
There are towns not far from us on the banks of the River Severn where houses flood regularly. But it doesn't appear to affect their values. Some have tiled the walls on the ground floor to make it easier to clean out after a flood.
I was out walking in the hills last week and met a couple from Utah who said it wasn't unusual to have four feet of snow over huge areas. We may see nearly that for a short time in the high fells but very localised and mainly just drifted snow.

Last edited:
I was out walking in the hills last week and met a couple from Utah who said it wasn't unusual to have four feet of snow over huge areas. We may see nearly that for a short time in the high fells but very localised and mainly just drifted snow.
In Essex a year or 2 ago, we had 1/4 to 1/2 inch of snow. Schools closed, buses stopped, shops closed early, drivers warned not to go out unless urgent. I walked over to our paper shop but no papers. Delivery vans not delivering.
In the UK, we take health and safety to the extreme, it's totally ridiculous.
Col

Col, I can remember that in the mid-1950s New Orleans actually got cold enough for snow, and that the snow formed piles on the ground that stayed as such for about 3 days. I was too young to remember issues with traffic, but at the time our subdivision was new enough that we had a gravel road anyway. Paving came later.

I made a snowman and Mom made "snow ice cream" - really just some vanilla flavoring, Pet condensed milk, and a little bit of sugar water poured over a cup of snow. Once every seven years since I was a little tyke, it got cold enough that we would get a brief snow flurry. And, because it is such a rare event, nobody who was born here knows how to drive on a frozen road with ice patches.

But then again, during Hurricane Katrina's aftermath, I had been relocated to Ft. Worth Texas for several months. Even though they DO get more regular snow events, when we had a freezing-weather storm (really hard freeze and some snow / freezing rain on the roads), it made the local news due to the backlog of people waiting for a tow truck to pull them out of ditches and to bring their cars to body shops for repairs. Texans couldn't handle snow either. On the 10 PM news that night, local stations were posting interviews with tow truck drivers who had as many as 10 requests for tow service still pending, and they had already serviced more than a dozen requests earlier. That night, it was GOOD to be a tow-truck owner/operator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom