Thrown out when calling certain functions. (1 Viewer)

JohnF53

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:44
Hi all,

I have a strange problem I hope you might help me with. The situation is that I have developed a database application for a client. They run it on a Server 2003 machine via remote desktop. It is multi user so there is one back-end database with tables in it and multiple copies of the front end with forms etc.

So... I recently made a couple of small changes, and when it was deployed reports came back that using some features caused the user to be dumped out of Access and the app. terminated, with no error message. One example is using the search function - it is just the built-in Access function but I put a button for it on the form for ease of use. This was working fine, and I hadn't changed it, but in the new version clicking the button caused the user to be dumped out of Access.

On investigation, I could cure the problem by opening the form in design mode, going to change something but not actually doing so, then saving the form. It now worked.

However... if I copy the database file to a user's folder it then does not work!

Finally, if I download a non-working copy of the database file back to my own PC it then does work!!

Any ideas? I admit to being a little baffled so any help greatly appreciated.

If it's relevant, the clients server is seriously overloaded and very slow. (They are on with sorting out an upgrade but haven't done it yet - bureaucracy!):(

JamesM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:44
Hi,

Are you all running the same version of access? I am suspicious that there may be a reference to a dll where an entry point may be different?
Could you check in the VBA editor on the client machine and make sure you are both using the same libraries? Maybe when you changed something you may have been referencing a newer library? Microsoft Access Library 14.0 instaed of 12.0?

JohnF53

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Ok, thanks, I will check that.

However, things have worked up until now and I don't think anything has changed that should cause the issue you describe. The change I actually made was to add a couple more fields and correct a bug in a Dlookup, nothing fancy.

Also, I can fix the problem (it would seem) on the clients system, and then make it reappear by simply copying the .mdb file to another folder. So, any dissimilarity between their system and mine does not apply.

Thanks.

JamesM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:44
Ok, the only other thing I could think of is a permission issue? Group policy or someting not allowing the database to access a required reference? But if you can open the form editor and save and that fixes the problem I am just as baffled as you?

Have you done a compact and repair? Do you have error handling in the function/Sub that is running the button click? That may feed you something back? Otherwise run the database with the VBA editor open and catch and step through where the issue is happening and it may help?

JohnF53

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Ok, I checked the libraries and they are the same. In any event the problem occurs, and the weird fix works, entirely on the user's system.

Re. permissions - again the whole thing happens while I'm logged in as me, so the permissions are constant.

I do have error trapping in the little sub. No message appears, you are just dumped out of Access.

Pity all negative finings really. Bit of a weird thing this.

Apparently the system has a few other problems and odd events, so the people who maintain the users system are going to do some maintenance and repairing (including Access) this evening so maybe that'll correct something.
However... I may be back. :)

JohnF53

Registered User.
Local time
Also....... thanks for the advice so far. :)

JohnF53

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, problem now resolved, sort of....

I downloaded the problematic database file from the user's system to mine again, in order to examine it.
Fired it up on my system and Access said "there's something wrong with module(s) in the database. The problem can be fixed." So, I said "go for it" and that's it - problem fixed!
Why this didn't happen before, and indeed exactly what the problem was, I don't know. However it's gone now so I'm happy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom