Time Wasting Websites (1 Viewer)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 09:00
Surely 100% of the people who open a website only want to see the default of everything being switched off, not switched on. Who in their right minds would volunteer to be spied upon more, rather than less? So why annoy us all by wasting our time in forcing us to click everything off before we start?

And what on earth is "Legitimate Interest"? If there is such a thing online, its very existence begs the question that if there is such a thing as legitimate interest, is all other interest on that website not legitimate?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If you watch cable TV, you will see ads. No one is forcing you to either tune in to that channel or watch the ads themselves. It is your personal decision on what to do. The ads might annoy you, but if there are no ads, there is no TV channel.

If you want everything for free, then you will get far less choice because you will be reliant on people to create sites that are just a hobby, rather than a business. But even hobby sites means someone else has to put in the time and effort, plus their costs such as hosting, site software and so on.

The other thing is that site data helps you improve the website to cater to your audience. More data = more potential improvement.

What I do find annoying is having to click popups everytime I go to a website to say they have cookies etc. We all know all sites have cookies, or take data. Since this is the case, why not instead reverse to how it used to be, where you had privacy policy etc that would inform those who are bothered by this information gathering. Then they can leave the site if they do not like it.

All these regulations has resulting in me constantly clicking popups. Things used to be better back in the day, before regulations stifled everything and made site owners lives way more complicated. Just look at the EU regulations regarding websites. They are far too complex for non-corporate websites. Imagine a builder or plumber having to navigate hundreds of pages of complex legal jargon to understand their liabilities, or the fact that laws differ between countries, and if you have a website, you have to abide by all those laws globally, and they also contradict one another in many cases, between countries.

Cotswold

Local time
TV programs with adverts we record and shoot the adverts. If we end up watching a program with adverts, then the sound is switched off when the adverts come on. In the UK we have the BBC which doesn't have adverts during the program. But not a lot worth watching.
I remember maybe 30 or 40 years ago, when we had maybe four TV channels, with something worth watching every night. A guy went to the States and when he came back he said they had 70 TV channels and nothing to watch. That became the case here 20 or so years ago. About the time humour was removed from every TV program.

Reactions: Jon

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:00
The title of this thread is a real plot gone begging..

Cotswold

Local time
The latest version of the Brave browser has options to stop the prompts to exclude spying. Often called Privacy Manager with options to set legitimate downloads of your information. The Brave browser works pretty well except for the main newspaper sites that are managed or controlled by Google. On those Google negate the Brave settings.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:00
If you watch cable TV, you will see ads.
Does anyone remember the promise of cable - you pay for the "service" so you don't have to watch ads. So much for truth in advertising.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm still working on finding a streaming option that promises me TV that I think the interface and the channel flipping and all the features work well enough though to replace cable.

There's something about the convenience. Of just turning on the TV and starting to hit the up down button that some of the streaming options can't emulate.

So far I've tried Roku premium and sling TV.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:00
I don't understand why people are so tolerant of the seriously poor interfaces of streaming services. I hate using Amazon Prime. It is slow and clunky. I would love to be able to turn off the icons and just get filterable lists. I would love to be able to hide things I will never watch such as films with subtitles. I wouldn't even mind using my PC to make lists that I could just refer to from the TV.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
roku live tv is not too bad.
i paid $22 (half-price) for a 30 day trail of sling and it was HORRIBLE. you pause over something for a mere 3 seconds and it jumps back to what it was doing.

there's like at least 20 o them though, the ones i'm talking about that 'mimic' live cable tv - complete with allt he standard cable tv channels. i just have to try more.

but yeah - if these streaming services annoy me much more I just may pick up the phone and call cox cable to financially violate me some more..

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
one thing I have to remind myself to remember more: Casting.

some things have great interfaces on the phone or laptop - and all I have to do is Cast the video to the Roku at the time I want.

but that's almost like me inventing workarounds in exchange for crappy products. they need to make a better one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom