Tip: Use Monoid Font on HiDPI screens

Local time
Today, 14:22
When I started with VBA I ran into the scaling problem of the editor (VBE) on HiDPI screens. For some reason I can not set the font size above 9. Well I can set it to whatever I want in the dialog but it won't apply. Googling a bit told me I'm not alone with this problem and it seems to be a bug on HiDPI screens.

I tried different fonts to see if this improves readability and found Monoid which looks awesome and renders about 30% larger than other fonts. Monoid is released under an open source license. You can find it on GitHub (sorry can't post a link).

Here's a screenshot:
Monoid Font in VBE.png

Your problem is probably caused by some internal variable in the text renderer. For "normal" DPI you render based on smaller multipliers. The difference between 9 point and 72 point (1 inch) is only a multiplier of 8, or 3 bits extra. Your chosen screen resolution is probably a contributing factor. I don't have a solution for that and i am on handheld right now.

Interesting, that does look bigger and better than the norm. Thanks for posting the tip.

Can be found here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom