too slow on getting calc done (2 Viewers)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:55
although all PC are on x64 systems
it's not the window system that matters, its the office version

if you don't split, you are asking for trouble - trouble that may not be fixable except by replacing with a backup, and that is only a temporary patch as it will happen again and again. And at some point you'll find the only viable backup is 6 months old (and you still won't have solved the problem).

as an aside, from your post in #4 - looks like a crosstab query would do the job. But without knowing your table design and relationships, just a guess

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:55
OK, I watched the video and it DID clear up some things. What you are doing is not terribly different than the U.S. Navy did in evaluating risks for a given project. Language? Different. Concept? Same.

For the logic of what you are doing, it is OK to build a query of a query (layered query). I don't say that I feel qualified to actually build the exact queries because I can't see field names that well. But you can build a (rather ugly but simple) query to divide the work. Start with something like

SELECT Site, Status, IsActive, DueDate<Date() AS DateOverDue, (Status='New') as NewStatus, (Status='in progress') As ProgStatus, .... FROM whatever-source; Call this Layer1.

Next,

SELECT Site, COUNT(IsActive=True) AS CtIsActive, COUNT( DateOverDue=True) CtDateOver, COUNT(NewStatus=True) As CtIsNew,
COUNT( ( DateOverDue=FALSE ) AND ( NewStatus=TRUE ) AND ( IsActive=FALSE ) ) AS Cond1, etc.
FROM Layer1 GROUP BY SITE;

Then you can perhaps bind this to your continuous form. In the Layer1 query, (Status='New') as NewStatus will be either TRUE or FALSE and the second query just counts the TRUE ones. You CAN build counts of more complex cases (see 2nd layer, Cond1). I'm not sure because it would take a long analysis, but you don't have that many columns so it might be viable. But more important, it should be quick. And you will have to play with this quite a bit to get the correct counts gathered together.

Now, as to double-clicking in a continuous form... Each record in a continuous form displays as a separate record - but there is only one row in the form and it just gets repeated. There is a way to know which field is being selected and from which row even for continuous forms, but from your description, it looks like you identify the site but then hard-coded the other items. This is slow because of the DCounts which act like sub-queries and you are doing a LOT of sub-queries from what I can see. IF you use the layered query approach, you short-cut some of those DCount calls. And every one of those calls you bypass is a call that won't slow you down.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:55
I'll add another comment to amplify what CJ said. Windows on most modern machines these days is a 64-bit operating system. However, MS Office comes in two flavors (for backwards compatibility issues) and that means you have either 32-bit or 64-bit Office. If you develop code on a 32-bit version of Office, it will run on 64-bit versions if you do some things to assure that your library routine calls (API calls) are set up to allow for the call. If you develop code on a 64-bit version of Office, you cannot go to a machine with a 32-bit version of Office because the addressing will be all wrong. So your 32/64 message is about the machine where you developed and the machine where you are running not having the same versions of Office installed. That isn't a "split" issue. It is a mobility issue.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:55
is it possible to set up a dbl click event ?
As the others have already said, events are available on form controls so the answer is yes. You never said what you want it to do.

although all PC are on x64 systems
Do not confuse the bitness of your hardware and OS with the bitness of Office. All hardware is probably 64 bit and has been for more than a decade. Therefore the OS will also be 64 bit since it matches the hardware. Other software can be 32 bit. If you are running 32 bit office on your development PC, then the other users should be also.

If you post a db with the table (obfuscate the data if necessary) as well as the domain function for each box across, then someone will try to turn this into a totals query for you.

Splitting your database is very important. Right now, your users are interfering with each other. You should just be able to use the built in splitter tool. You don't even have to do the split manaually.

TipsyWolf

Local time
Today, 21:55
If you post a db with the table
I would be very glad and happy if u guys help me to proper structure it. as of now - it needs time for me to sink in what The_Doc_Man suggested \ stated above. i'll try anyway.

Attachments

• База Данных [ПРиМ] 2.18.zip
    624.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

TipsyWolf

Local time
Today, 21:55
as well as the domain function for each box across
domain function ? - u mean action status ?
i put there ENG vs RU version, cause when new record is created - it has status "new" \ "новый" status.

there are 3 of them:
new - новый
completed - завершён
In progress - в работе

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom