Trouble connecting to database over network (1 Viewer)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Today, 14:08
I have 2 computers connected over the network. Both computers are using win98 and access 2000. Computer1 has the backend tables and computer2 has the frontend that's linked to the backend over the network. If I try to run some code on the frontend I get an error message saying "It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

Both computers have passwords to access them over the network and its only when computer2 goes to network neighborhood and connects to the pc via this way that the frontend can then then gain access to the backend. This will work until either of the computers is rebooted and loses the network connection or something like that. I want to find a way that the frontend will always be able to connect.

I've seen possible solutions to this on google but they either apply to windows xp users or the solution is worded beyond my understanding. I'm pretty green when it comes to networking and setting up permissions and such. If anyone has any idea how to help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

mkelly

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:08
Why not put both on the same network drive and connect that way?

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
I'm not sure I follow you. I should give more info here. Computer1 is my pc at work and computer2 is a co-worker's pc. Are you suggesting that I map a drive to my computer on her computer?

mkelly

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:08
No not to map her to your pc. Put both parts of the database into a network drive k:\, l:\ whatever. re link them and then place a shortcut on each of your pc's to open the databases. That way you will avoid errors when a pc reboots etc.

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Ok I see what you're saying now. I think that should work. I guess I wasn't looking for a solution by changing locations of the actual files but I'll give your suggestion a go. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom