Turn of warnings on DB startup - Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:39
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure this would be allowed as it could be maliciously abused, but what I want to do is turn of warnings when a user fires up my DB.

What currently happens is a user gets 3 pop up warnings in a row the first time they use the DB with essentially the same warnings and "do you want to run this" questions.

The next time the user runs the DB they only get one warning.

On another thread I was told how to turn warnings on and off within the database:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=499732#post499732

Code:
'Turn warnings on & Hourglass on
DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.Hourglass True

Code in routine that would generate warnings goes here.

'Turn warnings on & Hourglass off
DoCmd.SetWarnings True
DoCmd.Hourglass False

What I would like is some way to replicate the functionality for the DB. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Keith.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:39
In tools=> Options goto the tab Edit/Find.
Unclick the check mark in front of action queries and you should never ever get a "popup confirmation" again.

personaly I never use this but...

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Not quite what I meant.

namliam said:
In tools=> Options goto the tab Edit/Find.
Unclick the check mark in front of action queries and you should never ever get a "popup confirmation" again.

personaly I never use this but...

Hi Mailman,

I'm not sure you understood my requirement. I wanted to put some code into the DB that disabled the warnings during start up and then switched them back on. Thus when I distribute my front end db, users will not be confronted with the warnings which can confuse and certaily irritate after a while.

I don't really want all users to disable the warnings on their PC in case they are required for other applications unknown sources.

Regards,

Keith.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Would /DoCmd.SetWarnings False in my command line do it?

I was thinking something added to the command line switches but I'm a bit wary of messing with this without the aid of a net. Would

Code:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /DoCmd.SetWarnings False

at the end of my command line have the desired effect?

From the MS Acces website:

/cmd Specifies that what follows on the Access
command line is the value that will be database or
returned by the Command function. This Access
option must be the last option on the project
command line. You can use a semicolon (;)
as an alternative to /cmd.

If htat worked, I could put the DoCmd.SetWarnings True in the on open event of the switchboard.

Any thoughts before I try this?

Regards,

Keith.

Laurentech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:39
I've been looking at this the last couple of days myself, and the only way I have found to disable the security warnings is to set macro security to low - either through the Access menus or by writing a registry key.

Larry

workmad3

***** Slob
Local time
Today, 20:39
I think best bet would be to turn off warnings on DB close, and then turn on warnings in your startup form after running the queries that bring up the warnings.

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
I think that Kieth is talking about the unsafe expression warnings etc when you open the database. Not anything to do with running any queries so I don't think turning warnings off in VB would make a difference.

So as Laurentech suggeted you can go to Tools/Macro/Security and set it to low or follow the advice in the help message about installing JET 4 service pack 8. Here is a link to it:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Office&EvtSrc=OfficeErrorMessages&EvtID=10121&LCID=1033&ProdVer=11.0

Haven't done this myself tho so son't know much about it..

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
RCurtin said:
I think that Kieth is talking about the unsafe expression warnings etc when you open the database.
follow the advice in the help message about installing JET 4 service pack 8.

Hi RC,
You are on the money. I want users of distributed copies of the front end to open the database with no warnings. I don't want to ask users to change the settings on their installation of Access.

Anybody have experience of using a doCcmd in the command line switches?

Regards,

Deez

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:39
I may be completely off in this but why not use a digital signature? Would that cover those warnings as well?

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Deez said:
I may be completely off in this but why not use a digital signature? Would that cover those warnings as well?

Hi Deez,

I don't know what a digital signature is. Would it be a deal of grief to set up for the number of users I will have

RC,

about installing JET 4 service pack 8.

The databse and PC are in a corporate network maintained by an IT department. I haveno idea whether they have installed the service pack or not, but they wouldn't take kindly to me trying to dictate their policy. I have to work with whatever the system is.

Regards,

Keith

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Is what I want to do possible?

Keith Nichols said:
Code:
Will
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /DoCmd.SetWarnings False
at the end of my command line have the desired effect?
QUOTE]

Alas, no.

Any Guru care to let me know if warnings can be turned off for the duration of the database startup?

Regards,

Keith.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
When you use the "DoCmd.SetWarnings False" command... The warnings are turned off until you turn them back on! It is advised not to do that! You should only turn the warnings off while a specific function [update query, etc.] is run then turn them back on!

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
ghudson said:
You should only turn the warnings off while a specific function [update query, etc.] is run then turn them back on!

Hi GHudson,

In this case, the specific function I want to disable the warnings for is the DB start up procedure. If this can be done, the on open event of the switchboard would include a DoCmd.SetWarning True instruction.

So, without visiting every PC in the user group or asking them to change their settings permanently, is there any way to block the warnings? Maybe I have been asking the wrong question with the DoCmd.set Warnings?

Regards,

Keith.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
the specific function I want to disable the warnings for is the DB start up procedure.
What warnings are you trying to block when your db is first opened?

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Hi GHudson,

The first time a new user opens my database there are 3 cascading warning boxes asking the user if they are sure that they want to open the database as it may contain code that can harm your computer. Confusingly, to navigate the maze, they have to answer the boxes yes, no, open. Or something like that - I'm at home for the weekend now and I have all the details of this at my office.

After a user has gone through the rigmarole once, subsequent opening of the database only generate one of these warnings, I can't recall which as this doesn't happen on my PC (where the database was written).

I think this is all part of Bill's attempt to fix security holes in MS office products - malicious code hidden in emails creating havoc via VBA etc, and as such it may be that they are not block-able:confused:

This isn't really a big deal with my beta testers/initial user group. I circulated an email with screen grabs of the warning boxes and the appropriate answers.

I would much prefer that the application just launched as it does on my PC. Obviously, Access somehow know that it is being opened on its "home" PC. Maybe there is some way to fool it into thinking all PCs are its home PC.

I assume that the warnings are coded into Office Products at a pretty secure level and so it may be difficult to get round them, but if it is comparatively easy, I would like to block them.

Regards and thanks for your time to date.

Keith.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
We did not know that you were using Access 2003. You have the macro security warnings plus the sandbox mode alerting your users.

Search around the forum for there are plenty of threads discussing and answering your questions. Include my user name in your search if you want to narrow your threads to the ones that I have posted my suggestions back when Access 2003 was new.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
ghudson said:
We did not know that you were using Access 2003..
Ghudson,
Sorry about that. I thought the desription of my problem was pretty clear and I didn't know it was specific to A2003. I have added the information to my signature.

ghudson said:
Search around the forum for there are plenty of threads discussing and answering your questions.
I did do a search, as I do before every post I make. As a relative newbie, I don't always know where to look or what question to ask and if there are no relevant answers in the first couple of pages of a search I post a new question. With your pointers in mind I will search again and see what comes up.

On a side issue, when I went to update my signature, I was horrified to find that I have a negative 10 reputation with comments that I should search the forum a bit more and the little reputation square gives the advice that I have had some "shameless" behavior in the past.

I'm not aware of any shameless behavior but if I am guilty, then I apologize here here and now and will endeavor not to be so reprehensible in the future. If users find me being unduly needy or committing any other sins, I would appreciate a heads up there and then rather than accruing a bad rep.

I have found the forum to be truly marvelous and take my hat off to the gurus who post and spend so much of their time helping others out of altruism. The database I developed would certainly not have seen the light of day without your help. I know on occasion I get frustrated when when people don't get the problem. Much of this will be my fault in not knowing how to explain it, but that is no excuse and I will try not to show my frustration in the future.

In closing, I would like to say that I hope this bad rep will fade away over time and that the DB gurus will still take the time to help me out in the future.

Regards,

RCurtin

Registered User.
Local time
I would much prefer that the application just launched as it does on my PC. Obviously, Access somehow know that it is being opened on its "home" PC. Maybe there is some way to fool it into thinking all PCs are its home PC.

I assume that the warnings are coded into Office Products at a pretty secure level and so it may be difficult to get round them, but if it is comparatively easy, I would like to block them.

Kieth if you just read the answers that were given to you already you will find an explanation of why you get those messages on your work PC but not your home PC. As Laurentech and I both suggeted you can go to Tools/Macro/Security and set it to low Obviously this the macro security is set to low on your PC at home but not in work.

Or as Ghudson suggested do some research on macro security warnings or read the following link that I posted in a reply to you already:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Office&EvtSrc=OfficeErrorM essages&EvtID=10121&LCID=1033&ProdVer=11.0
As I said I don't know much about digital signatures/ macro security but there is plenty of information there for you to be able to find out more.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
RCurtin said:
Kieth if you just read the answers that were given to you already you will find an explanation of why you get those messages on your work PC but not your home PC. As Laurentech and I both suggested you can go to Tools/Macro/Security and set it to low

Hi RCurtin,

As I have alluded to, I'm a bit of a slow study and impetuous. I can't really change who I am but I can try to be smarter about it.

Having looked back at your previous posting on this thread, I have to say you were bang on the money and I thank you for the original posting and for the update. Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't understand the root of the problem and so when you said:
Haven't done this myself tho so I don't know much about it..
I was kind of switched off to the advice. I apologize for this as you had solved my problem at that point if I had only listened.

The good news is that setting the macro security worked and I got a heads-up that I wasn't being forum freindly. I'm workng on the second item there and trying to post only after I have made serious attempts to solve my own problems.

The forum question posters tend to fall into two categories: those that are reasonbly au-fait with Acceess and have a particular stumbling block and those that are anywhere from complete novices to people who think they can run when they are not even walking. I place myself in the second category.

I can see how posters in the second categry could irritate the regular gurus who make a forum like this work and be worthwhile.

Anyway, late-night ramble here, and I'm sorry for that as well, the problem the thread is based on is solved, and so I think we can put it to bed there.

I hope irritations such as myself don't put you off posting useful information in the future.

Sincere thanks and warm regards,

R

Rich

Keith Nichols said:
On a side issue, when I went to update my signature, I was horrified to find that I have a negative 10 reputation with comments that I should search the forum a bit more and the little reputation square gives the advice that I have had some "shameless" behavior in the past.

Don't take any notice of it, it's a stupid feature anyway and the comments added were probably by someone so full of their own omnipotence that they forgot where they started from.
Don't apologise simply for having difficulty in expressing a problem with Access, the world is full of little Hitlers as they say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom