Unwanted Enter Parameter Prompt (1 Viewer)

C

ckarlen

I've done a bit of research on this topic and I cannot find a solution. I am using Access 2002.

I have created a query that sums up all the monthly costs of the year for each category of the business.

SELECT YTD2005.ProdServDrill3, Sum(YTD2005.AmountBilled) AS SumOfAmountBilled
FROM YTD2005
WHERE (((YTD2005.ProdServDrill1)="Applications") AND ((YTD2005.ProdServDrill4) Like "ADS*"))
GROUP BY YTD2005.ProdServDrill3
ORDER BY YTD2005.ProdServDrill3;

This query works perfectly on its own and returns two columns (group description [ProdServDrill3] and year total [SumOfAmountBilled] for each group).

I want to use the SumOfAmountBilled results in a Totals column in my report. To do so I set the Data Control Source of the Totals textbox to the SumOfAmountBilled query result. However, when I try to preview/generate the report it prompts me with a dialog box where the heading is "Enter Parameter Value" and the text in the dialog box is the name of my query with a text box underneath the text. Why do the results just not show up in the report like they do in the query? How can I eliminate "Enter Parameter Value" text box? Many thanks in advance.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:34
Access prompts when it can't find a name. Make sure there are no typos.

R

RuntOfTheLitter

Enter Parameter Value Grrrrrrrrrrr

I also have the Enter Parameter Value prompt upon attempting to use buttons on the switchboard I made for both saved queries and reports. I have no clue what is meant by "Access can't find a name" when I made the button to the saved query/report I dont know why this parameter box keeps popping up. I remade the buttons, it worked fine again, and then it started again. Please help.

Julie

R

RuntOfTheLitter

This is the code behind my report button (I have NO clue what any of this is):

Private Sub Client_IDs_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Client_IDs_Click

Dim stDocName As String

stDocName = "Client ID List"
DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acNormal

Exit_Client_IDs_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_Client_IDs_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_Client_IDs_Click

End Sub

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Check the report's filter and sorting and grouping properties.

Manning

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:34
Pat Hartman said:
Access prompts when it can't find a name. Make sure there are no typos.

Thanks, I found this solution from the search function. It always amazes me how simple the answers always are.

Psilokan

Computer Programmer
Local time
Today, 09:34
Its funny, because I just encountered the same error today and hunted down a good Access forum so I could come ask that very question.

I scoured through google, searched for the message in quotes and found 14 pages. Fourteen pages of stuff that didnt help me.

I have made no typos in the reference to the tables or fields. My form consists of three combo boxes that are populated from 3 separate tables. If I tell them to spit out the SQL query into a msgbox I see exactly what I expect to see. If I paste that into an SQL query pane, I get the results I want. However when I run the form, select my 3 options, and hit generate, it asks me to re-enter the parameters for the second two combo boxes.

I got so frustrated I had to move on. My first day working with Access in nearly two years. However I had a "working interview" and needed to be at my best, and of course some crazy bug brought me to a halt. Luckily the guy interviewing me was still impressed by my abilities and I did get the job. However I want to march in there my first day with this bug already fixed.

I cant paste any code, or supply the MDB for you guys to look at (confidentiality issues, I'm sure you you all have to work with them too). So all I can provide is this description of my problem, and what I have determined it not to be.

It is not:
-a typo in the table name, or fields, or combo boxes it is referring to
-it is not the SQL query being generated, as it works fine if pasted into the query designer.
-it is not a gremlin inside my computer (I hope anyways)

My guess is its something to do with the linked tables. The front end and back end are separated. Each client has their own mdb of the front end, and they link the tables to a shared drive (which is pretty much standard for multi users in access, in my experience).

Anyways, it looks like ckarlen may have the same exact issue as me. So hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone in this thread.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did you check the filter and sorting properties?

Psilokan

Computer Programmer
Local time
Filter/sorting properties for what? The report? The form that calls the report?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In the report.

I hope you didn't wait for this answer to do the checking.

Psilokan

Computer Programmer
Local time
Pat Hartman said:
I hope you didn't wait for this answer to do the checking.

Sounds like a bit of a derogatory question there Pat. I dont have access to the files outside of work, nor do I even have a copy of MS Access currently installed on my home computer.

Now I'm currently at work, and I've written several more queries today that will also be driving some reports. I tried creating another form from scratch that launches a report. Once again I am running into the exact same issue.

For the sorting/grouping of the report, it is set to sort by name. There are not any groupings involved with any of these reports.

Psilokan

Computer Programmer
Local time
I finally solved this problem. I scoured 14 pages of google with no luck, then moved on to yahoo and scoured through about 3 or 4 pages there before I found my solution. It turns out that I have to hide the parameter form before launching the report. I'm not sure what the logic is to this, and I've never been required to do it in the past (although my experience with MS Access as a front end is minimal). However, a simple "Forms!frmReport.visible = false" before the "DoCmd.OpenReport" command solved the problems. To quote what Manning said, "It always amazes me how simple the answers always are." Once you find the answer that is.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hiding the parameter form should not be necessary. However, it is necessary for the parameter form to be open when the query runs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom