Update 2007 to 2013? (1 Viewer)

AN60

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:24
Hi
It's been a while since I posted on this forum.

I've been using Access for many years and am presently using 2007, which works ok for my needs. :)

My question is regarding the idea of updating to 2013. Are there any known problems going from 2007 to 2013? FWIW I want to have 2013 on my computer, not the cloud. The last update I did, many years ago, I lost a few features which took me a while to fix up, or find.

Can 2007 and 2013 run on the same computer and same drive together?

Any other info on going to 2013 would he appreciated too.;)

Dave

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 06:24
Dave,
FWIW I want to have 2013 on my computer, not the cloud
Your is luck. There is not a Cloud version of Access yet. like there is for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

From Access on your desktop you can create and publish Web databases to Sharepoint. You still use Access on the desktop to create, edit, and publish them.

The last update I did, many years ago, I lost a few features which took me a while to fix up, or find.

Fortuneteller there is always going to be the potential issue of deprecated features whenever you upgrade. I have been dealing with it from Access from 2.0, 95,97,200.,2002,2003,2007,2010,2013 and some 1015.

Whenever there is a major change to the underlying database engine like from Jet3/4 to ACE is when yo see the most change.

Access 95/97 from JET 3.x to Access 2000 and Jet 4 wha a lot of changes

From Access 2000/2002/2003 JEt4 to Acces 2007 with the new ACE database engine there were lots of changes.

Access 2010 and 2013 use the same ACE database engine as 2007. Acess 2010 did add some feature that if used made format changes to the .accdb format that made it not compatible with 2007.

Access 2010 to 2013 was really a minor change to the Access Desktop version. Most of the changes have been focused on Web database.

For most the change from Access 2000/2002/2003 to Access 2007 was the new Ribbon UI. Since you have been working in Access 2007 for a while you are used to the Ribbon. You will find that 2010/2013 has made the Ribbon better.

I still have a lot of clients that have Access 2007. I use 2010 or 2013 to modify their databases since I prefer the Ribbon in 2010/2013. I only switch to Access 2007 to do custom Ribbon stuff.

In Access 2010 and 2013 there were some deprecated feature. There were a lot more change from 2003 to 2007 that from 2007 to the newer versions. T

See:

Access 2010 deprecated features and components

Discontinued features and modified functionality in Access 2013

Changes in Access 2013

What's new for Access 2013 developers

Can 2007 and 2013 run on the same computer and same drive together?

I would avoid running multiple version of Access side-by-side (same machine)especially on Windows 8/81./10.

I use a separate Virtual Machine (VM) to run each version of Office . I find this to be the best practice.

FWIW:
Making sure that my Access solution will migrate I regularly monitor the Office blogs to see what features are getting deprecated and start modifying my application. I have already started watching for access 2016 deprecated features.

Last edited:

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:24
Stay away from Office365.A2013!!! In an another post, I have listed all the dropped feature: they are major!!!
Anyway, check my signature.

Strangely enough, today it is impossible to open the links proposed...

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
@HiTechCoach: none of MS stuff list explicitly the draw back with A2013.

Problem with links solved!

HiTechCoach

Local time
Stay away from Office365.A2013!!!

Why stay away Office365.A2013? I have 100+ using it including myself with no issues.

About Office 2013: There are some really great improvements in Word and Outlook 2013. For me Outlook 2013 is the best version yet.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
You, friends of MS, are all the same: avoid talking about the real think...
First your quote is truncated: I do not talk about Office 365 but Office 365 personal. There are at least 3 versions of office 365!
Do you use Activex ctrl? I do and there gone!!!
Do you connect to Excell files or other Access app.? I do and it's gone.
So you are misleading people with your comments. Anyway, check with Gina, she knows.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:24
Hmm, let's not call my name to check with anything. I am sorry it does not offer what you want but that does not mean it does offer what other people want and use everyday.

There was always more than one version of Office so why should Office 365 be any different?
I never used ActiveX Controls because they were problematic from the beginning.
Could always connect to Excel and still can so it's not gone
What do you mean by connect to another Access app? Because that is also still available.

Do not call my name and then misquote me.

HiTechCoach

Local time
I will assume that you are using the latest Office 2013 apps. Is it the 32-bit or 64-bit version And are you referring to a Desktop database or a Web database?

You, friends of MS, are all the same: avoid talking about the real think...
You obviously have not followed me much or you would not being saying that about me. For example: I warned everyone to not use Access 2007 until 2007 SP2 was released. It was based on verified bugs. Not my misunderstanding or dislike of changes like the new Ribbon.

I am all about good quality software. I first verify that it is not my lack of knowledge on how the software works. If there is a verifiable bug I report it to the vendor to give them a chance to fix this issue. I have done this even with Microsoft.

First your quote is truncated: I do not talk about Office 365 but Office 365 personal. There are at least 3 versions of office 365!

How is is truncated? See attached image and your paragraph below:.

Your post said:
Stay away from Office365.A2013!!! In an another post, I have listed all the dropped feature: they are major!!!

There are many version of Office suites and Office 365 plans.

Note: With Office 365 plans that include the desktop apps you get the same version of Office that is equivalent to the Professions Plus.

FYI: Office 365 Personel and Home or the Business plans get the exact same desktop versions of Office 2013 and Access!

With any version of Office 365 hat included the desktop apps you get the same version of Office in 32-bit or 64-bit.

You never specified which version you used that has any issues. Was it the 32-bit or 64-bit version? That is a significant distinction.

Also you did not specify if you ere referring to a desktop database or a web app. That is a significant distinction.

Access is only a desktop application and there are only two possible versions of Access. There is the 32-bit and 64-bit.

Yes, on the desktop there are the free runtime versions of each but the are the exact same code base with the all designer functionality turned off.

There is also the Desktop database and the Web database for SharePoint.

The 32-bit version of Access is a mature code base and very solid. The 64-bit version is very new. While they look the same on the surface they are a different code base. converting an app from 32-bit to 64-bit is not an trivial task.

The Desktop database is also a mature while the Web Database is still in its infancy.

It can be confusing that since you use the same Access application to create two very totally different types of database, Desktop or Web. This is not unlike Visual Studio that can create projects in many languages. ALl witht he same interface.

Sounds like you installed the 64-bit version of Office and/or using a Web Database not a Desktop database.

Since you said you had Office 365 Personal which doe snot come thee hosted SharePoint then using a Web database is not included int he plan. You would need to provide your own SharePoint server.

If 64-Bit:
In that case there are things that are not compatible with 32-bit software. 32-bit ActiveX controls do not work with 64-bit software. This is not limited to Office or Access but ALL Windows software. I use ActiveX control with Office Access 2013 64-bit but that are also 64-bit controls.

If a Web database:
It is true that there is a lot that is not the same as the Desktop. No VBA code is what most people notice first. It also requires a SharePoint Server.

You can host your own Sharepoint Server or use a hosting service. Microsoft and others provide SharePorint Server hosting.

I have not seen your list of issues since you did not provide a link. I think your list is probably about the 64-bit version and the comparability with 32-bit stuff or an Web database. Or even both.

You have never clarified which bit version and what database type. This is crucial information.

Do you use Activex ctrl? I do and there gone!!!

Currently Access Web databases can't use ActiveX controls.

Desktop database can as long as you use the correct bit version that matches your version of Access 32 or 64 bit).

Do you connect to Excell files or other Access app.? I do and it's gone.
/QUOTE]

Again you have not specified what type of Access database. Desktop or Web.

My guess is you are referring to web databsse.

So you are misleading people with your comments.

If you pointing out issues with Access 2013 and do not include if it is the 32-bit and/or 64-bit version and is it is a desktop or web database then you are the one who could be considered as really misleading people. Generalizing of issues from the 64-bit product onto the 32-bit product or a web database on the desktop database is not accurate and very misleading.

Please read this:

64-bit editions of Office 2013

Attachments

• AWFpost.png
    AWFpost.png
    21 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

HiTechCoach

Local time

HiTechCoach

Local time
Hi HiTechCoach

Can one run conventional access applications under Office365?

If by conventional access applications you mean Desktop databases then the answer is NO.

If you you have the Office 365 plan that includes hosted SharePoint then you could create an Access Web Database and publish it it to your Office 365 hosted SharePoint site.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Sorry Gina. After rereading your reply I can see your intended meaning. Thank you for clarifying it for me.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
@Trimmel: you'r such a bad faith, it's almost funny!!!
- Check my signature: my ref. to office is clear.
- Automation does not work with Opers: it is admitted by every using that package.
- I now realize that report events comes with the app.; so for my apps created with A2007, they work fine but for those created with A2013 they don't. It is more or less admitted by MS in there 'documentation'.
- I used many Activex since 1999 and never had any problem.
- Mine is 32b.

@Gina:
Hmm, let's not call my name to check with anything.
Ok. I was participating to a well known French forum. I slowly (I am only IQ135) realised that it was controlled by a clique and only there opinion was accepted: I literally told the boss to GFO (French equivalent, say). I am now realising something similar is going on here. Trimmel replies are wrong from A to Z: contrarily to what he says, he did not checked anything. So I use your name as a credibility reference.

JLCantara :mad:

HiTechCoach

Local time
Dave,(AN60),

Sorry your post got hijacked bu other members. Did your get the information you needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom