Update a form (1 Viewer)

gguy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:12
I have an access program that is in 43 remote locations. I need to update a form to change some leagle jargon in a disclaimer on that program.

I need to somehow send this form to these 43 sites and update the database. Is there an easy way to accomplish this function?

The users of this program are normal users and asking them to import a form from an external database would be asking a lot.

Is there a slick way to update forms, queries and report without overwriting table data? Thanks,

grzzlo

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:12
I wish I could help...

If you were starting from scratch I would tell you to split the database into a front end with all the forms, reports, etc., and a back end with the tables. Then when you update a form you can just send out a new version of the front end without affecting the data in the tables.

Of course, it's too late for that now. I'm eager to see if there's a convenient solution to your problem. I hope someone posts a good answer.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:12
I would certainly agree that the db should be split. At this point, you could probably create a utility db to send to people. It could either use automation or CopyObject to copy your form to the existing db. Not having tried it, I don't know if it will overwrite the existing form or make you delete/rename it first. If you import a form into a db that already has it, by default it will name it "FormName1", which you don't want. If CopyObject does the same thing, you're probably stuck with automation, because I don't think DeleteObject or Rename let you specify the database like CopyObject does.

I use the utility db all the time to let clients modify their back-end tables. Because I always split applications, for forms and such I just send them a new front end.

gguy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:12
Thanks for the replys.

The split may not be impossible as majority of these locations are yet to get the program and the modification of the verbage is just a suggestion at this point. I should have said that this program will be at 43 locations.

I will search the forum for more information on splitting the database but if you have specific threads that will help me please send a link.

Also, more info on the utility db would be helpful. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom