Update Child Record based on Parent update (1 Viewer)

KEKeogh

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:39
OK I don't know if this has been asked before but I'm not finding anything obvious.

I have a form which has three different subforms.

The main form you select a Company_Name from one table and the subform call up all the records for that same Company_Name from 3 different tables.

My problem is if someone modifies the Company_Name in the Main Parent Form it does not filter to the corresponding Child records in the subform.

Anyone know how I can get the child records to update?

Kathie

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 03:39
At the core of this, it sounds like a table issue. You shouldn't link your tables via a text field, especially one that is prone to being changed. Company_Name is a poor choice as a value to connect your tables.

Instead you should have an autonumber primary key in your main table. Probably calling it CompanyID. Then, in your sub-tables you wouldn't store the Company_Name, but instead the CompanyID. So if a company name ever changed, it wouldn't matter it would still have the same CompanyId.

Check out this microsoft article for more info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/304466

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 10:39
My problem is if someone modifies the Company_Name in the Main Parent Form it does not filter to the corresponding Child records in the subform.

Anyone know how I can get the child records to update?
I suppose you mean, select another company name?
Did you set up the "Link Master Fields" and the "Link Child Fields" between the form(s)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom