Local time
Today, 12:23
Hi,

i have union query like here:

Code:
SELECT * from Temp_FEversion
UNION ALL SELECT * from Temp_Hanaversion
UNION ALL SELECT * from Temp_NWversion;

How can i update Function field from these tables?

I am getting :

Please help,
Jacek

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,214

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. One way is to create a temp table from your union query and then use the temp table for the update query.

Edit: After re-reading your question/post, I am thinking the above approach may not work either. You may just have to execute multiple UPDATE queries, one for each table, to update your "function" field in each one. Sorry...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:23
According to Allen Browne, whom we consider to be a REALLY GOOD reference for such things, UNION queries cannot be updated.

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

You can use either .Recordset operations or make an SQL string dynamically to perform a single-table update via CurrentDB.Execute or DoCmd.RunSQL on your SQL string.

jaryszek

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Guys.

Oo so this seems to be a problem.

Jacek

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yep, UNION queries are great for what they do, but Access has issues with updates of any kind, probably because of difficulties in finding the targeted record for the writeback. When you generated the UNION query, you REALLY generated a single list of records taken from all contributing SELECT queries. But that list (to the best of my understanding) is actually just a list of record file addresses (i.e. where ON THE DISK to find the records). It does not (again, to the best of my understanding) include the source table for each record, so the update function (and, for that matter, DELETE) will not know which table to update. And the append query has the same issue - more than one possible table. It is the ambiguity of location that makes the problem difficult.

jaryszek

Registered User.
Local time
thank you The_Doc_Man - you know that you have talent to explanation in very simple english difficult things?

Jacek

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can only try. I wish you could convince my wife of that when I am trying to explain to her why her printer won't print what she wants to print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom