Updating Multiple Records Based on A Single Value (1 Viewer)

forms_are_nightmares

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:49
Hello.

I've been searching through the threads and couldn't find anything related to my problem. Maybe I'm using the wrong search/key words? If someone knows of a thread, direct me to that as I do not want someone to duplicate work.

What I would like to be able to do is update multiple records based on a user input.

Example:
A user will enter a comment into a record, which can apply to other records in the DB. Rather than have that user re-key or copy and paste the comments, I would like them to be able to open a form, select the records that apply, and have those comments copied to the selected record(s).

Sounds simple and I think I have some ideas in my head but was wondering/hoping if someone has already done this and can help me get this off the ground.

Anyone?

Thanks.

bparkinson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:49
Assuming the records have unique ID's, and the form exposes which records are checked so you can loop through and get the ID's, SQL like this will do it:

UPDATE tablename SET commentcolumn = commentvariable WHERE ID IN(1,3,5)

A more elegant solution would be to temporarily save the checked records, then have SQL like this:

UPDATE tablename Set commentcolumn = commentvariable WHERE tobeupdatedbit = TRUE

Then have a SQL statement to clear the checked tobeupdatedbit column

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom