Question User Level Security (1 Viewer)

Dezirous

Rafi Ahmed
Local time
Today, 15:40
I've made a project in Ms Access with Admin rights in XP, now I created another account with limited rights and assigned some rights of adding records using MS Access Security, but whenever I open that project with limited account, a message says, "database is readonly", and all control text boxes and buttons on the form I made for it are locked and I am unable to add any transaction or entry inproject in limited account. Kindly made me understand, where am I doing mistake?

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:40
see if your file or folder property is read-only.

Dezirous

Rafi Ahmed
Local time
I've set document and folder's readonly propert to uncheck using admin account, but whenever I login with limited user account, it says "database readonly". I don't know how it happens, but it is. I am not able to work on it and I need to distribute this project for further user so that they can work on this data entry project and could not change any setting of my computer. Kindly help if can...

Dezirous

Rafi Ahmed
Local time
Yes, I'm using XPSP2 Professional Edition.
I made database using built-in Administrator account in XP.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
does your security tab has your new user with assigned permissions?

Dezirous

Rafi Ahmed
Local time
Yes it has with assigned permission. I assigned it as Read data, insert data, update data in all category like forms, tables, query, reports and macros.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
no what I mean, the properties of your folder and file therein (ms access).

Dezirous

Rafi Ahmed
Local time
I got you, the user is not in security tab of that file. There is only Admin user in list. Now what should I do?

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
add your new user. and give necessary permissions.

Dezirous

Rafi Ahmed
Local time
OK, I've done it, but in folder option there is no security list, there is security tab but for sharing folder with network... and one interseting thing I would like to share with you is when I turned the sharing ON, it works in limited user that I wanted to do but sharing is not good for my file as I am connected with network.

Well thanks to navigate me in right way...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:40
Generally speaking, when Access cannot create the corresponding .LDB file, it locks all controls because it has no place to track record-level or other-level data locks. Verify that your user can create and delete the .LDB file.

If you were using something with the server-class permissions list, you need (at the high level definitions) Read, Write, Delete, and Modify. At the detailed level, you need just about everything except the ones that let you change file ownership and permissions - usually "CONTROL" actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom