Users cannot access data entered by others in a shared BE!!! (1 Viewer)

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:24
Hi folks,

I've a BE/FE database where the BE is on the server and the FE on different PCs. I have got linked tables in my FE and the connection between them and the BE is correct; however, users cannot view data entered by others. They can only view data entered by themselves!!

I'm not sure if the records are getting locked that's why they can't see others inputs.

Any help will be very much appreciated,
B

Last edited:

Jibbadiah

James
Local time
Today, 22:24
Bee,

Suggest that you run a few tests just against the linked tables first.
Check that data entered in the linked table of one f/e is shown on the back-end db.
Check that the data entered on the linked table of one f/e is also shown on the linked table of another f/e.
If these tests are ok then you may have a problem refreshing it from within your form.

Anyone else with suggestions?!

J.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
A user may need to open the table after the other has updated the table. You dont always see records added after you opened the table.

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Will try that - thanks Jibbadiah.
I don't understand what you mean Rabbie. Can you elaborate please?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:24
There is no reason why multiple users accessing a shared back end database could not view data entered by others. If someone has a form open, that form has a recordset that was created when the form was opened. That recordset will show data changes and deletes made by other users after the automatic refresh happens. This is set to 60 seconds by default I think although the user can choose Refresh from the Records menu to to see the changes. Neither of these refreshes will show data added since the form's recordset was opened.

If your users leave forms open for long periods of time and during that time others may add records that they need to see, you need to give them a way to Requery the form. Requery does exactly what it says - it reruns the form's RecordSource query so it will retrive all added records in additon to any changed records. Add a button to the form and train the users to press it periodically when they want to "see" data entered by others. Keep in mind that when you requery a recordsource, the recordset is repositioned to the first record. If your users are going to find this disturbing, you'll need to save the current record and after the requery, use the RecordsetClone to reposition the form back to the record the user was on. In the click event of the button, the minimum you need is:

Me.Requery

It is possible to do this automatically in the timer event of the form but I don't recommend it. Using timer events has a tendency to make the form flicker ever so slightly. There are other potential pitfalls especially if while testing you make a mistake and edit an object while some open form has an active timer event. This frequently will corrupt the database.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Will try that - thanks Jibbadiah.
I don't understand what you mean Rabbie. Can you elaborate please?

I will try to explain.

In Time order - earliest first

User A opens table and views through form

User B opens Table in form

User B adds record to table from form

User B exits from tableand Form

User A scrolls through form to end of table. Unless User A has requeried the data for the form they will not see the record added by User B.

I hope that is a little clearer now. Let me know if it is still not clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom