Solved Using an UPDATE Statement without getting prompted for a Parameter Value (1 Viewer)

Ryan142

Local time
Today, 14:52
Hi again, I promise this is my last post for today!
I've been grinding away at my project hence the volume of posts

As the title above says, I'm using a SQL UPDATE Statement to update prices for an item in a table. However, I've tried tinkering and to no avail, when I click the activation button that starts the sub, it asks for Parameter Value with a pop up. I want to not use this and instead use a text box that user will input.

This is what I've tried and it still doesn't work so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
Private Sub btnComplete_Click()

FlyingFee = txtFlyingFee
    LandingFee = txtLandingFee
    InstFee = txtInstFee

SQLPayment = "UPDATE tblPaymentPricing SET Price = FlyingFee WHERE ProductID = 1"
    SQLLanding = "UPDATE tblPaymentPricing SET Price = LandingFee WHERE ProductID = 2"
    SQLInst = "UPDATE tblPaymentPricing SET Price = InstFee WHERE ProductID = 3"

DoCmd.RunSQL (SQLPayment)
    DoCmd.RunSQL (SQLLanding)
    DoCmd.RunSQL (SQLInst)

Me.lblComplete.Visible = True

Thanks, Ryan

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
would be helpful to know which parameter but I'll take a guess it is flyingfee etc. If that is the case try

SQLPayment = "UPDATE tblPaymentPricing SET Price = " & txtFlyingFee & " WHERE ProductID = 1"

Ryan142

Local time
great that worked thanks, and my bad for not including the correct stuff, another follow up question: what would be the syntax to run all 3 of those statements at the same time? Just to save having 3 pop ups asking to change one row?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
don't use runsql, use currentdb.execute.

Your three updates can't be combined because they are updating different records

Ryan142

Local time
don't use runsql, use currentdb.execute.

Your three updates can't be combined because they are updating different records

Sure just wanted to check - and will do. Thanks for your help

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:52
FYI, I suspect you could do it with one SQL statement but I'm not sure it's worth the bother. Along the lines of:

UPDATE tblPaymentPricing SET Price = Switch(ProductID = 1, 123, ProductID = 2, 456, ProductID = 3, 789)

You'd have to build the Switch() to insert your values. Again, I'm not sure it's even worth it, I just went "hmm" and wondered if it could be done in one go.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:52
or you can add those Fees to the productTable or another table and link it to your update query, eg:

tblFees(table)
ProductID (long integer)
EffectiveDate (date/time)
FlyingFee (double)
LandingFee (double)
InstFee (double)

fill this table with pertinent infos.
on your query:

"UPDATE tblPaymentPricing AS A Inner Join tblFees AS B On A.ProductID = B.ProductID " & _
"Set A.Price = (B.FlyingFee + B.LandingFee + B.InstFee);"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom