Using Query for entry (1 Viewer)

dmyoungsal

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:06
I think i am getting too old for this, but I have a question that I cannot think of an answer to.

As some of you might know, I am working on a form that I am using to calculate transportation costs. Initially, this was just a screen that I used Unbound fields and textboxes containing formulas. All worked well (even printing using PrintObject)

Then everyone wanted to Save the calculations for later reference. By and large this still works really well except printing. I first went down the path of creating a report and pulling data from the table. The issue was that almost none of the data came across from the table because very little was being written to the table.

I went back to the idea of printing the Object, but I was getting all the records in the table. Even when I did PrintPreview, all records were present.

I have tried creating a query and linking the tables via the fields that I am referring to where necessary. When I pull up the query, the two test records that are in the table do not come up.

I would like to use the query and its ability to provide me the calculations I need on the fly, but this is not coming together as quickly as I need it to.

There are fields where I reference outside tables and use data contained in some of the fields.

Suggestions are very welcome

Last edited:

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 19:06
This sounds like a typical database that starts off small and achieved by the 'just get it done' method, but then people see the capabilities and start piling on functionality requests. You really should start right now doing this correctly.

The first step is to set up your tables correctly. You need to read up on normalization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization). Storing calculated values is generally a no-no.

The second step is build the reports you need. Part of this is building queries that you need to feed those reports data. This is where calculations and data from multiple tables is taken care of--not in the tables.

The last step is building input forms. Its the sexiest and everyone wants to start here, but it should be the last part of the process. A general for this is that when you want a form that directly interacts with data (add/edit/delete) then that form should be based on a table and not a query. Again though, this is the last step.

I suggest you start at step 1 and post specific questions as you progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom