Using SQLite as BE ok? (1 Viewer)

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:30
Hi contributors
I have plan to use SQLite because it LESS many things for small projects. Any caveat or advices to drop to my new venture. Thanks brotherhood.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 15:30
That's a pretty broad question with very little context.

My advice is to Google around to see if SQLlite is the correct database for your application

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:30
I don't understand your reason for using SQLite. What do you plan to use for frontend - Access?

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
To clarify SQLite is only for BE while FE is msaccess as it very familiar RAD. ODBC will be used to connect to BE

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:30
FuzMic,

Sounds like an interesting project. Can you tell us more about your rationale to use Sqlite as BE?
Is this mainly an academic exercise?

I did some googling and found this old (2013) thread.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 13:30
I found this rather interesting statement on the SQLLite page.

Client/server SQL database engines strive to implement a shared repository of enterprise data. They emphasize scalability, concurrency, centralization, and control. SQLite strives to provide local data storage for individual applications and devices. SQLite emphasizes economy, efficiency, reliability, independence, and simplicity.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
I am attracted to SQLite because it LESS many overhèads like server objects. Until I can get it really going the verdict is not out but from my reading I am hopeful to bypass other SQL servers or accdb.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can you tell us about your proposed application?

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Guys more context

For years i wanted to use one of the SQL Server application as my backEnd. I was using accdb or mdb for the BE in an low volume & low users LAN environment. I was reluctant to move because of server overheads. Then watching the android up surge i found a popular BE provider SQLite. I like it because there is no server requirement and things looks robust.
When I chat with SQLIte experts they warn me that it is not intended for high users number environment which is the order of 200. But since my projects are tiny this is now not an issue at all.

Meanwhile I have to consider one important issue, how to connect msaccess to it. I was thinking of ODBC to provide links to the tables in the SQLite. Some expert shared that he use system.data.sqlite.dll library to access SQLite in .Net; but then how how to do this with msaccess.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If there is no server where the shared data is stored, I doubt this will work for you. EXACTLY WHERE is the data stored?

Microsoft's SQL Server Express is free. I suppose you could run it on one node of a peer-to-peer LAN but that node would always need to be "on" or the other users won't be able to use the app. I can run SQL Server on my home network and other nodes can "see" the database on my desktop.

When you are developing multi-user software, there is a minimum technology level.

Don't let that discourage you. If you have the time, then give it a shot.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:30
Well, did you try method from link in post # 4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom