VBA to create email that Outlook can later open... (1 Viewer)

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:03
Hello. Looking to write out an email in VBA into a MSG or EML file without using Outlook. The Server I'm using has Access/Excel, etc. but not Outlook. Can I just write out for example an HTML file that meets the Outlook header requirements, etc. and then, from another computer, open it within Outlook? Thanks!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:03
Look into CDO (Collaborative Data Objects) that can send a message without using Outlook.

Not so sure about whether CDO can create a message file without sending it. CDO also doesn't receive messages (It isn't a mail client) so you can't get away with sending it to yourself to create the message file.

Generally, it appears that you need to download some code utility to actually create a .MSG file from VBA without going through Outlook. Search the web for "Create Message File Without Outlook" and you will see lots of options. I found a dozen very quickly.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:03
I am thinking you should be able to create any file using the Open statement as long as you know the proper header to put in it. So, I guess the question is, where can we find the file header for Outlook?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:03
Don't know if this helps or hurts, but here are specs for MSG files with a second layer of specification. With enough persistence you might be able to figure this one out.

MSG file:

CFB_3 format: (referenced in MSG file)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom