VBA user wondering about .NET... (1 Viewer)

ya5irha55an

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:07
Hi all,

I am a VBA in Excel/Access user, to a pretty high standard and am wondering how much of a jump learning other VB languages would be such as .NET or VB itself. Could anyone advise? Thanks in advance.

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:07
VB.Net is pretty much a new ball game but VBA and VB are pretty similat. VBA is more limited then VB. Ofcourse VB.net is the newer technology so I would learn it.

ya5irha55an

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks- I am planning on startgin to learn vb.net soon, was hoping it would be similar at least to VBA, I hope its not too different :(

If anyone can suggest any books, websites etc I would really appreciate it!

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Look up Visual Studio's express on the Microsoft site. There are some good tutorials.

grnzbra

Registered User.
Local time
Is Vasual Basic Express a continuation of VB.Net or plain VB?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition is .NET as are all VB editions after VB6.

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:07
ya5irha55an, its better off learning VB.NET than learning VB6. VB6 and below is outdated technology.
The technology after VB6 is called .NET.With the invention of .NET 2002, 2003, VB6 programmers thought it was VB7. To thier suprise, it was totally a different technology that was generated from scratch!
Now its called VB 2005...etc.They've just dropped the ".NET" part because they assume that everyone knows that all VB after VB6 is .NET.
For backward compatibility, MS thought that VB6 code could easily be converted to VB.NET, so you will find some similarity in the syntax of VB6 and also Access VBA.....its all VB syntax.

Is Vasual Basic Express a continuation of VB.Net or plain VB?
It is actually an example of the continuation of VB.NET.
.NET Express is .NET 2005 minus a few features, MS must have created it for educational purporses, targeting "Students and Enthuthiasts".
You can get the Express edition of VB 2005 for free, but while it is a great tool for free it is not nearly as functional as the full Visual Studio.

You can easily download VB 2005 Express Edition on its own, licence free and some tutorials but if you buy the professional version, you will get alot out of it. Besides getting other necessary features used in softwares or databases, the IDE that supports all MS .NET languages, i.e. VB, C#, C++ and J#, so you can have chance to learn or use other languages.

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 14:37
skea said:
For backward compatibility, MS thought that VB6 code could easily be converted to VB.NET
hahahaha oh that's funny... :D

They do include a conversion tool (with VS.NET Pro at least, not sure about other versions).
I tried converting a fairly small application from VB6 to .NET/2005... I ended up rewriting it from scratch. :rolleyes:

Yes, there are similarities. Yes, knowing older VB will help you learn VB.NET.
But they have changed enough that automated conversion doesn't work too well.

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:07
hehe...correction.
MS thought that VB6 code could easily be converted to VB.NET and Vise-Versa

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom