Virtual Reality Headsets - worth the money? (1 Viewer)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:33
I just read some other articles about it and it sounds like a bunch of stupid kids saying stupid things.
Apparently they threaten "gang ra**", follow people around and harass them. A little overboard to call it ra** but they should
investigate it especially if it involves sexually harassing underage kids.

They should also have age appropriate avitars. Right now all avatars are adults. In our golf games kids usually turn off their mikes because adults don't want to play with them. You don't know their age. It's not uncommon to curse up a storm when you have a shitty shot or to rag on a fellow player.

This just reminded me of my favorite real life golf story. Me and a friend went out one day and we got paired up with 2 women. We didn't talk with the women much as they were playing the women's tees and we were playing the back tees. My buddy was having a bad day and he was cursing his head off with every shot. "Jesus F'ing Christ" and "God Dammit" at almost every tee shot. At one point my buddy had to relieve himself and wandered into the woods to take care of business. I waited with the woman, we chit chatted a little and they introduced themselves. It was such a pleasure meeting Sister Regina and Sister Francine from Our Lady of Lourdes convent. I never laughed so hard.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:33
They are claiming it gives the same psychological trauma as ra**. That's rubbish!

They should investigate paedos, I agree. But the things I am hearing in the Metaverse is tons of kids saying all sorts of outlandish things, constant swearing, and what some might call hate speech. As I see it, its just a bunch of kids fooling around who because of the anonymity of it, say what they really want to say with no inhibitions. On the other hand, if it is someone like Rolf Harris or Gary Glitter trying to lure kids into a trap, then it is a different issue.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
investigate it especially if it involves sexually harassing underage kids.
Does it tell you the age of the people on their profile? I mean how do they know their age?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:33
Does it tell you the age of the people on their profile? I mean how do they know their age?
Not that I'm aware of. It probably should.

Not sure real age is a factor. Look at all the enticement cases where the perp is actually communicating with a State Trooper. The issue becomes the perp believed he was talking to a minor.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Not that I'm aware of. It probably should.

Not sure real age is a factor. Look at all the enticement cases where the perp is actually communicating with a State Trooper. The issue becomes the perp believed he was talking to a minor.
On the other hand, if it says you are a minor, it could alert paedos to potential targets. I suppose you could make a guestimate of someones age if they are talking and sound like a kid, with high pitched voice etc. Otherwise, if the person doesn't saying anything, then I am not sure how they would believe they are talking to a minor. Edit: Actually, with a bit of competitive intelligence, you could find them. I'm sure the paedos have underground communication where they share footprints of the young ones so they can hunt them down.

Everything is so messed up in that metaverse. You get anime style girls wandering around with rather deep voices! If someone has an avatar of a rabbit, does that mean they get charged with beastiality too?

I see this whole issue going down the same route as the internet: censorship. Where you lay on the poiltical spectrum may determine how much freedom or free speech vs how much regulation there should be. Imagine a 1984 Big Brother AI who monitors all your speech on the system, using a voice recognition system. Then, you get points for good behaviour and points taken away for bad behaviour. Or in other words, the China social credit system.

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:33
AArrgg!! The golf doohickey that was supposed to be delivered tomorrow hasn't even shipped, and now on Amazon it says:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@pbaldy Have you tried any of the other apps, like Thrill of the Fight, Punch Fit, Eleven Table Tennis or FitXR? Tried any apps at all?

An update on my progress: The last 2 days I did 500+ calorie burn on each day, and the day before that I did 300+ calories. My goal is 300+ calories burned per day, but hoping for 500+, and with any luck 7 days per week.

I've been getting into Thrill of the Fight lately, and its a super-effective workout. You burn 400 to 500 calories per hour with it. Between each 3 minute round, I have to have a sit down, just like in real boxing! Also, I've been doing more FitXR stuff. I fill in with Beat Saber and ping pong to hit my targets.

If I can control my diet a little, in theory I should get ripped! Currently, my back muscles are aching all over, because of my 1+ hour of playing Thrill of the Fight yesterday. You end up exercising parts that were previous neglected with other exercises.

Edit: I hate traditional cardio, just putting that out there. But this is cardio and its way more fun. Consequently, I am doing lots of it!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The stuff that will come to VR in the next few years will be amazing.

I burned 600 calories on each of the last couple of days.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
"Virtual flying" on a PC is already a big market, porting it to VR should have a positive impact on virtual reality games and equipment....

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@pbaldy Have you tried any of the other apps, like Thrill of the Fight, Punch Fit, Eleven Table Tennis or FitXR? Tried any apps at all?

Yes, Punch Fit and Eleven Table Tennis. I've enjoyed both, but not to the "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread" level. I continue doing both to make sure I'm giving it a fair shake.

Update on the golf gadget, suddenly Amazon says it got picked up by the carrier today. They say it's arriving by tomorrow night, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps its about finding the apps that suit your preferences. I don't use Punch Fit much, but it is free and quite entertaining nonetheless.

My go to apps are Thrill of the Fight, Beat Saber, FitXR and Eleven Table Tennis. My primary goal is fitness and weight loss, and all these help me achieve that. FitXR has a free 7 day trial I believe, after which it is a monthly subscription of about $10. It is very good for the fitness aspect, and has a variety of classes, ranging from dance, to Zumba, combat to boxing, HIIT to sculpt.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Oh, no. I can't pass up the chance. How much weight did that guy lose in real life?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I managed my first week burning over 600 calories per day in VR. For the last 7 days, I've been doing a mixture of boxing, pad work, ping pong, FitXR and Beat Saber. For the last 2 days I've done over 700 calories per day, with yesterday my all time high of 720 calories. I figure if I keep this up together with a slightly restricted diet, I should shed some unwanted pounds over the next few months.

I start doing a little VR around lunchtime, then mid-afternoon and finally in the evening. It works out at about 80 to 90 minutes per day.

The best for burning calories is Thrill of the Fight, where I burn at a rate of around 460 calories per hour.

Motivation requirements for doing all this cardio are quite low, much lower than doing say running or walking. Your mileage may vary.

I've been doing a little bit more work on the Punch Fit app lately, where I'm finding the selections of routines further down from the top are more engaging. They require you to remember punch sequences and you have to do it within a certain timeframe else the pads to punch drop to the floor. Can't believe its free. Great app!

After I've lost something like 14 to 20lbs from today, I plan on reducing the daily burn to around 300 calories. That should be an easy target to reach. Since the beginning of the year, I am 4.25lbs down, but that will include some water which you tend to shed at the beginning of a diet. As you reduce your calorie intake, the glycogen stored in your muscles gets used up and glycogen attracts water. That is why the water loss happens initially.

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I managed my first week burning over 600 calories per day in VR. For the last 7 days, I've been doing a mixture of boxing, pad work, ping pong, FitXR and Beat Saber. For the last 2 days I've done over 700 calories per day, with yesterday my all time high of 720 calories. I figure if I keep this up together with a slightly restricted diet, I should shed some unwanted pounds over the next few months.

I start doing a little VR around lunchtime, then mid-afternoon and finally in the evening. It works out at about 80 to 90 minutes per day.

The best for burning calories is Thrill of the Fight, where I burn at a rate of around 460 calories per hour.

Motivation requirements for doing all this cardio are quite low, much lower than doing say running or walking. Your mileage may vary.

I've been doing a little bit more work on the Punch Fit app lately, where I'm finding the selections of routines further down from the top are more engaging. They require you to remember punch sequences and you have to do it within a certain timeframe else the pads to punch drop to the floor. Can't believe its free. Great app!

After I've lost something like 14 to 20lbs from today, I plan on reducing the daily burn to around 300 calories. That should be an easy target to reach. Since the beginning of the year, I am 4.25lbs down, but that will include some water which you tend to shed at the beginning of a diet. As you reduce your calorie intake, the glycogen stored in your muscles gets used up and glycogen attracts water. That is why the water loss happens initially.
FWIW, at ~140 - 143 lbs, I can maintain a weight on around 1400 calories a day. To lose weight I have to be at around 1100 to 1200 calories. That includes regular exercise, so I have to take that into account. As the weather gotten colder and wetter, my walks have become shorter and wetter too.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
FWIW, at ~140 - 143 lbs, I can maintain a weight on around 1400 calories a day. To lose weight I have to be at around 1100 to 1200 calories. That includes regular exercise, so I have to take that into account. As the weather gotten colder and wetter, my walks have become shorter and wetter too.
In the UK, the weather is usually rubbish. It's cold and wet here, with a smattering of snow. My VR headset gives me consistent conditions for getting my cardio in.

A good rule of thumb is that for every 100 calories you are below your maintenance weight, you divide by 10 to get the annual weight loss. So negative 100 calories = 10lbs lost per year. Therefore, if you need 1400 calories to maintain your weight, 1200 calories will lose you (1400-1200)/10 = 20lbs in a year.

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
In the UK, the weather is usually rubbish. It's cold and wet here, with a smattering of snow. My VR headset gives me consistent conditions for getting my cariod in.

A good rule of thumb is that for every 100 calories you are below your maintenance weight, you divide by 10 to get the annual weight loss. So negative 100 calories = 10lbs lost per year. Therefore, if you need 1400 calories to maintain your weight, 1200 calories will lose you (1400-1200)/10 = 20lbs in a year.
Sound about right. I have records going back to early 2015, when my diabetes was recognized and I started tracking such things. I could probably do an analysis and come up with an approximation based on that. But it would still be based on a sample size of one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom