Weekly Planner Template (1 Viewer)

MattBaldry

Self Taught, Learn from the Forums
Local time
Today, 12:41
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had a very basic planner form they have used. I have searched the forums and there are plenty out there, but not quite what I am after.

I am trying to display employee workloads and I have a table with a due date, and a query with labour hours. I want to be able take the due date, work backwards with the labour time to work out start, and then display this, if possible, as a continuous form layout with employee names as rows and work days as columns. This could then be filtered by month to show employee workload/capacity.

I am thinking continuous form view with each employee on a row and then the days of the month displayed to the right. Something like below.

Employee1st2nd3rd4th5th9th10th11th12th
Name 1Job 123 StartJob 123Job 123Job 123Job 123 End
Name 2Job 456 StartJob 456 EndJob 789 StartJob 789Job 789Job 789 End

I don't need any special features or to be able to edit the data here (it is pulled from an external table and edited in their software)

I am hoping someone has something they have used before.

~Matt

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:41
If your data is properly normalized, a crosstab query will pivot it to display it this way. Use a Where clause to limit the data range. Define the form with 31 day columns and force the crosstab to always return 31 columns even if the data doesn't contain 31. One way to do this is to use the columns property of the query.

MattBaldry

Local time
If your data is properly normalized, a crosstab query will pivot it to display it this way. Use a Where clause to limit the data range. Define the form with 31 day columns and force the crosstab to always return 31 columns even if the data doesn't contain 31. One way to do this is to use the columns property of the query.
Thanks Pat,

I shall have a look into this. I hadn't even thought about cross tab.

~Matt

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
just be aware of the overall width - you have 31 columns plus the employee name. Maximum form width is around 55cm. say you use 5 for the name, that leaves 1.6cm for each of the columns. 'Job 123 Start' will need about 2cm and that is without any margins. Of course, does depend on your font size

So suggest do this in a report and set the can grow property to true for the detail controls. You can still show the report in a form as a sub report

MattBaldry

Local time
Hi Pat,

How would I force the cross tab to show all employees even if they have no jobs assigned? I know I can force columns to appear, but how would I force rows?

We currently have 25 employees, but in week 27, for example, only 7 have assigned jobs with a due date. I would like the crosstab to show all employees so we can see which ones can be assigned jobs within the selected week.

~Matt

EDIT: Sorted this issue :)

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:41
I agree with CJ that this could be awkward as a form.
Here's a sample with months:
CrosstabColumnHeadings.JPG

MattBaldry

Local time
I agree with CJ that this could be awkward as a form.
Here's a sample with months:
View attachment 101516
Hi Pat,

I have this working now with the weeks I need displayed (based on the selected month) and the full employee list, which is great.

But it has a blank column with <> at the top now. I am assuming this is something to do with me showing all records from tblEmployee and only matching records in the query. Is there anyway to remove this <> column?

I need to show the full employee list as they need to be able to see at a glance who has no jobs assigned.

Also, I can see you have 2 row headings, can you advise the benefits of multiple row headings, as I may be able to make use of these.

~Matt

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if this is the query and not a report, right click on the column header and select hide

When you pass this to your form or report, just don't include it in the view

As to why it is appearing, would need to see the sql you are using

MattBaldry

Local time
if this is the query and not a report, right click on the column header and select hide

When you pass this to your form or report, just don't include it in the view

As to why it is appearing, would need to see the sql you are using
Hi CJ,

Please see below.

Code:
TRANSFORM Sum(qryCapacityPlanningLabourTimesMonthWeek.[Job Time (Hours)]) AS [SumOfJob Time (Hours)]
SELECT [EmployeeFirstName] & " " & [EmployeeLastName] AS Employee, qryCapacityPlanningLabourTimesMonthWeek.[Assembly Type]
FROM qryCapacityPlanningLabourTimesMonthWeek RIGHT JOIN tblEmployees ON qryCapacityPlanningLabourTimesMonthWeek.EmployeeID = tblEmployees.EmployeeID
WHERE (((tblEmployees.EmployeeActive)=True) AND ((tblEmployees.EmployeeJobType)=3))
GROUP BY [EmployeeFirstName] & " " & [EmployeeLastName], qryCapacityPlanningLabourTimesMonthWeek.[Assembly Type], tblEmployees.EmployeeActive, tblEmployees.EmployeeJobType
ORDER BY [EmployeeFirstName] & " " & [EmployeeLastName]
PIVOT qryCapacityPlanningLabourTimesMonthWeek.WeekNumberDue;

I used the query builder and this is the SQL. Data all displays perfect for what I need, but the <> appearing has me scratching.

~Matt

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
don't have time to set up an equivalent query but you are grouping on tblEmployees.EmployeeActive and tblEmployees.EmployeeJobType but not displaying them (presumable because you are using them in your criteria)

for both these fields, change the group by to Where and untick the show box

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:41
you can use the technique here?

Attachments

• Jobs.accdb
    648 KB · Views: 133

MattBaldry

Local time
Hi Arne,

That looks almost perfect. Am I right in thinking I could manipulate the query to take the end date and work out a start date based on how many hours I have calculated for the job?

~Matt

MattBaldry

Local time
Hi Arne,

I have put my data in but it gives an error, No Current Record. If there is 1 line of data in the job table, it works. As soon as you add a second line, it says no current record.

Could this be due to potentially overlapping dates?

~Matt

arnelgp

Local time
can you upload your employee and job-employee tables?

MattBaldry

Local time
Just in case anyone else is looking for something I found the below, and it was only €100 for the full editable version.

Well worth a look and, while I cannot tie it in to my existing data, it works better than anything I could have created.

~Matt

arnelgp

Local time
For info, Alexsander Wojtasz who is the author of that app is giving a presentation to the Access Europe User group on 7 Dec:
from what i see from all your presentation, all are commercial and you are giving them venue to advertise their product.
in the eventuality to have sales. there is nothing really to "learn" from your presentation all are commercialization.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
from what i see from all your presentation, all are commercial and you are giving them venue to advertise their product.
in the eventuality to have sales. there is nothing really to "learn" from your presentation all are commercialization.

That is incorrect.
Most of the presentations have been and will continue to be for free apps.
Where commercial apps are involved, there has always been a free option available with the functionality demonstrated in the presentation.

For example, this week's presentation by Mike Wolfe will be accompanied by a free app with all code used

arnelgp

Local time
For example, this week's presentation by Mike Wolfe will be accompanied by a free app with all code used
that will makes mike and crystal the only, true Free for all code.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Still incorrect.
My previous answer was accurate for both previous and future sessions.
For example, Alan Cossey's code from last month was also free as will be mine in Sept.
Chris Arnold made a free version of his app available after the April session as will Peter Cole in August

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom