What are the best resources (sites, books, or tutorials) for learning programming? (1 Viewer)

tejar37

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:22
What are the best resources (sites, books, or tutorials) for learning programming?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:22
Since you are asking from with a MS Access forum, you will get responses based on vba and possibly SQL.
I have listed links to several articles and tutorials on Database Planning and Design (including vba and Access functions). I strongly recommend tutorials by Steve Bishop and Richard Rost.

The tutorials are often a great complement to any of the "thick" books available. The nice thing about videos is that you can stop, replay, repeat until the materials "sink in". Also, nothing like a project where you get your feet wet while learning to understand and experience "programming".

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:22
i use sharing (torrent) site to download udemy, Linda courses, and it's free.

onur_can

Local time
Today, 13:22
If you want a book source, I can recommend 2 books to you.
1st inside-out Access 2007
2nd inside out Access 2010
and others
John L. Viescas
I would recommend Alison Balter's Access desktop application development book, which I see as another very valuable book and which I still look at from time to time.
Alison Balter
I can recommend database.dev and udemy.com as internet resources. In the login phase, you can visit my website where I publish articles every week.
Ms Access Information Platform

Milkpower

Local time
Today, 23:22
These recommendations are incredibly useful for me because programming is my hobby. Thanks to delegating nurse essay writing I can devote more time to programming. I'm always on the lookout for useful books to gain a deeper understanding of this subject. It's essential to keep learning and expanding one's knowledge to keep up with the constantly evolving tech industry.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I couldn't see much of the udemy.com product but what I could see looked solid. My problem is with their payment model. I would prefer to have perpetual access to the classes I signed up for rather than having to pay monthly for access to all their course material. I either commit to spending hundreds of dollars a year, every year or I lose the ability to go back for a refresher next month on how to build a form.

There are some excellent samples right here in the forum. Take a look here.
Sample Databases | Access World Forums (access-programmers.co.uk)

There are also code and FAQ sections.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:22
This is going to be a slightly variant answer. There ARE no best books that anyone can name. (Before you lose hope, stay with me.) There are books that you can understand easily and there are books that somehow don't "connect" with you. You can go to a book store and look for programming books in any language. If it is a big store, you might find several titles. The acid test is to read a couple of sample sections to see if the author can connect with you; if the lessons make sense to you. It is always the case that a book one person likes, another will hate. Every person has their likes and dislikes in lots of things - and "textbook style" happens to be one of those things.

LanaR

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:22
@Pat Hartman , I've just checked, and I still have access to the Udemy course. Also, there are a bunch of PDFs for each unit which you can download for future reference.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
This is going to be a slightly variant answer. There ARE no best books that anyone can name. (Before you lose hope, stay with me.) There are books that you can understand easily and there are books that somehow don't "connect" with you. You can go to a book store and look for programming books in any language. If it is a big store, you might find several titles. The acid test is to read a couple of sample sections to see if the author can connect with you; if the lessons make sense to you. It is always the case that a book one person likes, another will hate. Every person has their likes and dislikes in lots of things - and "textbook style" happens to be one of those things.
Echoing those thoughts, I always cringe when someone asks for the "Best" anything, not just training.

Most such choices are more subjective than objective. One person's cup of tea, so to speak, is another's three day old cold cup of coffee. It's wet and it might quench your thirst, but you might not consider one or the other the "best".

Sample a wide variety of options and modalities: Books, courses and classes, YouTube and other videos. There's so much available these days, you are bound to find something that suits you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@LanaR Perhaps, you have a different payment plan that what is currently listed. A quick reading looked like $13+ for the first month. Then $16+ per month forever to retain access to all material, not just an Access course. $13+ is inexpensive for a quality Access course. I would be willing to pay much more but even if I could finish the course in a month, I would expect to retain access to it for an extended period. With a book or a CD, I have it forever but for a web option, I have it only as long as the web site is operational.

LanaR

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:22
@Pat Hartman possibly, it's been almost two years since I signed up for that course. TBH I was a little surprised when I logged back in and found that I could still access the course material.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Check your payment history on the website just in case.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Echoing those thoughts, I always cringe when someone asks for the "Best" anything, not just training.

Most such choices are more subjective than objective. One person's cup of tea, so to speak, is another's three day old cold cup of coffee. It's wet and it might quench your thirst, but you might not consider one or the other the "best".

Sample a wide variety of options and modalities: Books, courses and classes, YouTube and other videos. There's so much available these days, you are bound to find something that suits you.

Yes. And even if we were looking for 'best', we might want to substitute the word 'best' for something more descriptive, i.e., "the thing most likely to engage me, seem approachable, and contain what I can easily find that is relevant to the use cases I am likely to encounter".

I.E., Ask God. Actually come to think of it, if someone close to me - like my Spouse - was also a SQL programmer, now they could recommend a book for me. Someone would have to know me inside out to know, for example, that the mere reference to a VIDEO to teach programming makes me feel nauseaous. But that is just me. Some people swear by them so to each his own. Whatever floats your boat.

PS. Unless the dallas cowboy cheerleaders were doing a SQL Saturday video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom