What is Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable (1 Viewer)

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 21:38
On this DL page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/office.aspx
they show:Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable

I have read the description but am still to thick to figure out what it is. What does that code do? Does it replace or complement a plain vanilla Access 2010 installation?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:38
These are used to bridge between 64 bit and 32 bit applications.

For example if you have 64 bit Access and need to connect to a 32 bit application that uses a 32 bit ODBC driver you install the 32 bit redistributable.

James Deckert

Continuing to Learn
Local time
Today, 14:38
They allow you to use a database designed in Access without owning Access. You won't be able to change or add any forms/reports/queries, but will be able to input data. Just like the PowerPoint viewer listed, you can see a presentation created in PowerPoint, but can't modify it.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
#2 This I could sort of understand
#3 This now confuses me. I understand the principle of a Viewer like for Word, PP or Visio, but how does this differ from Access Runtime?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:38
I think the runtime is the runtime as you understand it - James has I think misunderstood the question.

The distributable engine allows you to use ODBC to connect when you don't have Access installed to have loaded the drivers (I think)...

James Deckert

Continuing to Learn
Local time
>>James has I think misunderstood the question.
Wouldn't be the first time....Won't be the last :)

HiTechCoach

Local time
On this DL page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/office.aspx
they show:Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable

I have read the description but am still to thick to figure out what it is. What does that code do? Does it replace or complement a plain vanilla Access 2010 installation?

It doe not replace Access in any way.

The new Access Database Engine (ACE) is what controls the new .accdb format. JET is the database engine that controls the .mdb format.

This may help: Did you know that Access is NOT a database but a Front End? (Click here)

For any application to read data in the tables of an .accdb database file you have to have Access Database Engine (ACE) installed. When you Install Access 2007 and later, the Access Database Engine (ACE) is automatically installed.

If you were to create a .NET application to work with an .accdb database then you would also need to install Access Database Engine (ACE). That is what the download link will install.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Thanks. Now THIS was fully comprehensible. I've played with websites running off an Access db at a providers, and there we had to have a DB engine: JET for A2003 or ACE for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom