What table would you have? (1 Viewer)

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:19
I have been working on a MDB for a friend that would be used to track scores from various tournaments within a tournament circuit. I acknowledge that there should be
1)tblTour-Tracks basic tournament infoo
2)tblDivisions - Many many divisions
3)tblMembers - tracks member information (which is important in the long run)
4)tblTourRank - Keeps track of the individual scores within each tournament

Seems simple, but I just cant nail this down. I have the first three as I think they should be, but the fourth is the trick. How would you guys propose getting the data into the table properly? What could I do to accomindate for non-standard (MISC) divisions or non-members?
I have a grasp of where I want to be, all I am hunting for is some suggestions from those that have been down this road b4.

Thanks
Jeremie

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is a two-part answer to your question.

First, search this database for "ranking" and "tournament" to find many, many articles that have discussed this issue.

Second, you are designing from the wrong end of the problem. Draw out your tables on a white board. Use sticky notes to "populate" each of your tables. Do every possible action (Game:Win, Loss, Tie, Update/Correct Scores; Competitor: Add, Remove, Change Divisions, Disqualify, Update Personal Info; etc. etc.) on paper at least once to track data flow. Think about the implications of each action, regarding which tables have to be updated for each of the actions including any I might have left out. THEN you can do a better job on DB design.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
I have searched the forums, and cant quite find what I am lookng at doing. Some are close, but for the majority of it I see people implimenting way more than what I would need. What I have is 3 tables, all the data entered into them seperatly. I draw from these tables to create the fourth table which holds the rankings. The proble i have is that I want 1 tournament, All the divisions, and up to 10 members per division. Since this is all entered after the fact from cards turned in by the judges, no "on-the-fly" type of adjustments will be necessary.
I have 3 tables
1)tblTour- holds tournament info (date, location)
2)tblMem- holds all of the members information
3)tblDivision- holds the various division info (age catagory, type, gender)

Now what I would like to do is assemble it into a final table to organize the finished results.
What I was fishing for was good ideas on table structuring, and maybe ideas on forms for data entry. What I was shooting for was a form (tournament) with subform(s) that would allow for divisions and members/ranking.
I will go over the other posts once again, but if one strikes out as something you think I might be more in line with feel free to let me know where it is.

And one other stump i have to deal with is the possibility of both misc divisions as well as misc participants (non-members)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom