What's the best way to break into computer/software development industry? MCAD? MCSD? (1 Viewer)

whitespace

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:28
Hello there people, has anyone any tips on how to break into the software development industry? I've been into programming for years but only have experience in vba and bits of vb and my dream job is to be in software development and it has been for the last 15 yrs but I just can't seem to get in there.

I never finished my degree in computer science (one of my biggest regrets) and have looked into jumping straight onto a masters course but have also looked at doing an intensive MCAD or MCSD course which (although a hefty cost) I would be prepared to do if it meant I would have a good chance of getting into the industry.

I'm currently learning java through an open university course, trouble is I don't want to spend the next 3-4 yrs doing a masters if it prob won't get me anywhere anyway. Does anyone know if doing a MCAD/MCSD course will actually help me get started in the industry?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Like all things m8 it depends on what you wanna do.. you cant just say i wanna be a software developer! what kind of software developer? do you wanna make progs for little kids like My little Pony learning progs or do you wanna work for microsoft and be involved in making new operating systems etc.. to be honest mate your best bet is to phone some software developers up... just make some **** and bull story up that you're a student doing Computer Science and this is what i wanna do what did you do and what do you suggest? I currently work for BAE Systems developing Submarine defence systems and I do oddjobs around the shop for other people and that is baisically how i got here. I joined BAE at 21 after uni doing a Computer Science degree and I was doing application development but purely in Access n VBA and these were just 'MMLE' (Make My Life Easier) progs for the big dicks.... however as you will learn more often then not its who you know rather than what you know and thats how i got into subs by contacts... What you should know though is a Masters will always get you far no matter what. It will put in decent jobs easily but not necessarily the job you want. remember though if you do an MCAD your gonna be stuck to microsoft.. literally! And looking at current events Microsoft are probably gonna get F**ked now considering that they now have to release hefty parts of their source code meaning that lots of cheap spin off progs which are baisically the same will emerge! unfortunately if you did your degree you could have got yourself in a position where you could have got a company to sponser you to do a masters and a job at the end...

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
good luck btw!

whitespace

Registered User.
Local time
hey thanks rsmonkey that's a great help. As to what I want to get into, not 100% sure really I'm just really keen to start using new technologies instead of messing around with Access, Excel and VBA still - feel like I'm getting left behind. My dream from a kid was to develop computer games but I don't think that's going to happen now. I would have thought some sort of application/web development learning a decent DBMS like SQL server/ORACLE and either .net framework or the java one.

Trouble is it's easy to sell yourself short, I thought my programming skills were fairly average but then someone started at our place saying he was an 'expert' in vb and vba, and honestly he knew nothing compared to what I know - so you never know how good your skills are until you compare them to other people. I reckon I prob sell myself short sometimes.

Think I'll look into doing masters then - I have started this through Open Uni and done one module but will take years to complete so gonna look into doing a proper non-distance learning part time one. Currently doing OU Java course too.

Thanks a lot for your help - had a look on monster too and it looks like a lot of people are struggling to get into computers - including graduates.

Should have spent more time working and less time partying when doing my degree 10 years ago - one of my biggest regrets.

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Plenty of computer game programming courses out there m8.. its the hardest programming you can do.. multi dimensional arrays etc.. but if thats what you wanna do.. do it! Also have a look at the Computer Animation course at Bournemouth Uni its a very good course and you could get into PC Games fairly easy through that. I had mates who did it and the contacts the uni have sort you right out!! quality party uni aswell ;) mind you difficult to get on that course b/c in its an internationally recognised place to do pc animation.. good luck

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:28
To me, there are two strategies. BOTH require some thought beforehand.

First strategy: SCREW the economics - figure out what you like to do, THEN seek the market for it.

Second strategy: Figure what you like to do, then see if there is a NICHE market for it, then go for it.

Third (failing) strategy: Go to school without first having decided your "love" factor. You'll waste your time flailing around in undirected study.

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
Plenty of computer game programming courses out there m8.. its the hardest programming you can do.. multi dimensional arrays etc.. but if thats what you wanna do.. do it! Also have a look at the Computer Animation course at Bournemouth Uni its a very good course and you could get into PC Games fairly easy through that. I had mates who did it and the contacts the uni have sort you right out!! quality party uni aswell ;) mind you difficult to get on that course b/c in its an internationally recognised place to do pc animation.. good luck

Computer Animation doesn't sound like a bad idea. I am looking forward to learning web design and creating flash animated sites in the future - tho im not sure what route to take to get me there.

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
It depends on the type of person you are MsLady... If you're one of these people who can quite happily learn out of a book then there are plenty of decent reads out there that i can suggest however like me reading is rubbish and i need to be told what to do. If your really serious about a career then university is the way to go. I find uni's manage to strike a good balance between tutition and self-learning as long as you engage on some level with the subject. College is almost the same but they will leave you in the dust if your ni a responsive student! (although many will disagree)...

And i've just seen that youre in NYC so what i have sed is of no consequence to u as im in the uk... rubbish !
Their are a couple decent tution websites out their which will help you develop you html/xml/css/php/java-script etc... skills flash is a different story!

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
University only teaches theory. Like you, i need to be hands-on to learn.
Universities/Colleges are all hands-off

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
true, but without the piece of paper saying what you can do, it is very hard to get your foot in the door. you also need experience to go along with it. found that out the hard way when no one would even call me when I got out of Uni.

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
i have a computer science degree from college already and i work in the field.
how i can learn and get into web design/flash is my problem now.

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
MsLady, you just have to do it. On your own. Create a website on your home network for your own address book. Keep building it, adding more functionality and cooler graphics/flash stuff as you investigate, learn and apply your new found knowledge.

I have found that is what works best for me. As Nike says, "Just do it".

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
MsLady, you just have to do it. On your own. Create a website on your home network for your own address book. Keep building it, adding more functionality and cooler graphics/flash stuff as you investigate, learn and apply your new found knowledge.

I have found that is what works best for me. As Nike says, "Just do it".

Thanks pdx_man, i'll definitely try this method. Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Degrees are ONE measure of success. But not always for the reasons everyone imagines. I used to be the personnel liaison for the computer department for a company I worked for over 25 years ago. I.e. when the programming team needed to hire, I was the screener and the initial technical interviewer.

We used the college degree as proof that a person could finish a project. That's pretty much all it proved, but that alone was significant. When someone came in without a degree, we asked more about their education because it was a worry that they wouldn't finish what they started. If there was a good reason, we let it go. If the person was not able to adequately explain why they dropped out, we were extremely reluctant to take the chance.

Another issue we used frequently was fear. (No, we didn't intentionally go out of our way to scare the bejeezus out of some one.) We wanted to see if there was something they didn't want to do because they were afraid - of failure. (See another thread on the subject of failure in this main theme.) People who were willing to do something new were far preferable to the folks stuck in some rut.

Breaking into the software industry is one of those things that you sometimes do - and then regret - because you didn't take the time to do your research. For instance, everyone knows the old adage "The other man's grass is always greener." They fail to consider the implication - that his field is deeper in fertilizer than yours! Sometimes you have to be willing to do the ... dirty ... jobs to break in to what you see as an exclusive and elite society. Let me tell you, the late hours, serious head scratching, deep levels of deadline-oriented stress, and a profusion of uncaring, unknowing, unthinking bosses can really make for a lousy environment.

Working conditions are FAR more important (long-term) as a positive factor in your career. If you don't like where you are working, you will develop wrinkles, high blood pressure, muscle aches and pains, and a host of other ailments. I know. Stress can KILL you if you let it. And even sometimes when you were trying to avoid it.

Finding a balance between good pay and good conditions is the ultimate dream. Everyone can potentially get there with skill and perserverance. But potential and actual arrival at your dream job are two different events. In the final analysis, it isn't what you COULD do with more resources but what you do with what you've got that gives your bosses a reason to TRY you in a position of more responsibility. And there is where you regain control of your own fate. By being willing to try to do a new thing.

Sometimes you fail. Sometimes you muddle through. Sometimes you shine. But as the old carnival barkers used to say, "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom