What's the good way to use .acce file (1 Viewer)

smtazulislam

Local time
Today, 07:02
Good Morning !
I would like to using my .acce file more then 5 computers. What's the good ways to use this file?
This app have 5 users, like - Admin - HR Manager - HR Supervisor - Recruitment Supervisor - HR Secretary

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:02
First the app needs to be split, the BE contains tables only and is located on a server where everyone has access

The . Accde FE goes on each users computer and may need relinking to the BE. Each user will need access installed, either a full version or a runtime version. The version and bitness needs to be the same as or later than the version from which created the .accde

.accde protects the code and form/report design but users can still modify query design and make changes to the data in tables directly (I.e. not using a form)

if you need to prevent users from being able to do this, you need to take further measures

smtazulislam

Local time
Thank you very much for your reply.
First the app needs to be split, the BE contains tables only and is located on a server where everyone has access
I had split. FE and BE.
The . Accde FE goes on each users computer and may need relinking to the BE. Each user will need access installed, either a full version or a runtime version. The version and bitness needs to be the same as or later than the version from which created the .accde
I did not make it like an installer. Its .accde file only. Should I put a copy each computer .accde file ?
.accde protects the code and form/report design but users can still modify query design and make changes to the data in tables directly (I.e. not using a form)
if you need to prevent users from being able to do this, you need to take further measures
I don't like user can modify query. for that, I had stop to access File menu and SHIFT keys disabled.

Further, My question
* if same time twice users try to work in same form can response ?
* How to update FE file to 5 computers. (if any form change/modify)

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Yesterday, 21:02
Thank you very much for your reply.

I had split. FE and BE.

I did not make it like an installer. Its .accde file only. Should I put a copy each computer .accde file ?

I don't like user can modify query. for that, I had stop to access File menu and SHIFT keys disabled.

Further, My question
PMFJI:

Yes, the reason for splitting the Access database into a Back End, or BE, with only tables and a Front End, or FE, with only the interface objects is precisely to make it possible for multiple users to work with the same data in that BE. If you anticipate, however, that two users might want to change the same record in the same table simultaneously, you can expect clashes. That should be quite rare, but it's unavoidable unless you invest a lot of time and effort in creating a more sophisticated interface. Most of that time, that's not necessary.

Put a copy of the FE on the computer of each user. Keep your master copy of the FE in a location where no one else can get to it. Make all changes, updates, etc. ONLY in that master copy (keep backups of it, of course). Once you are ready to replace the existing FE, make copies for each user and replace the one on their computers with this new version.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:02
Further, My question

I will answer these questions.

1. IF you are using a split Front-End/Back-End (FE/BE) then the users aren't using the same form... they are using COPIES of the same form in separate files. Therefore, there is no locking problem with the the forms. They are separate, independent, but identical things. The only conflict would be if two users were using identical forms to modify the contents of the same record in the shared BE file. That could lead to locking collisions, which CAN be a bit of a problem.

2. There is such a thing as an auto-updater that you can use. The fancy ones check version information to see if an update is needed. One example is described in this link.

Pat Harman's short batch-style autoupdater script is another way to do this. She gives an example in her first post in that same thread. It doesn't check for updates, it just updates. There is a hidden advantage to this because if the FE gets bloated due to running a lot of big queries, an auto update every time removes the bloat by replacing the bloated copy with a clean one.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:02
I store the batch file on the server in the same directory as the master copy of the FE as well as the shortcut I want the users to use. To "install" on a new user's computer, send him the shortcut and ask him to save it to his desktop. Then for subsequent updates, you would only have to replace the master copy of the FE on the server and the next time a user runs the shortcut, the new FE will be installed.

Regarding linking the FE to the BE, the best option is to use UNC notation rather than specific drive letters. That way, you won't run into a problem if different users have the drive mapped differently.

Also, instead of leaving the extension as .accde, rename it to .accdr. That tells the Access.exe to pretend to be the runtime engine so unless the users know this trick, they won't be able to get into design view on anything.

smtazulislam

Local time
Thank you very much all of you's. I working on it, shortly I will give you feedback.

I don't have any server. I using my BE file by shared folder. My computer have others 6 folders shared enabled.
Problems is 5 users can ACCESS my others folder which also shared enabled. HOW TO resolve this problems.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:02
The problem isn't that they can access the folder. If there is a shared BE file there, they HAVE to be able to get there to use the DB. It is what ELSE they do when they DO access the folder. Can you be more specific about what you want to prevent?

If you are worried about others getting to your non-Access folders, may I suggest that you research the Access Control List or ACL utilities. It is possible for you to selectively deny access to specific people using an ACL on a folder. NOTE: Access Control List is not about Access, the Office app... it is about accessing a file. It is a WINDOWS facility.

If the problem is running the app directly from the shared folder, you can do things in the app startup to detect it being run from the wrong place. If there is no startup form and/or no autoexec startup macro, your design will be inadequate for control and security operations.

Decide what it is that you want to prevent and post a list of these unwanted actions. Forum members can offer insights to points on your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom