Windows 10 EOL (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 15:02
Well, the full screen ads would be really irritating, but it seems this story overlooked a significant alternative,
After Microsoft ends support for Windows 10, up to 240 million PCs may be sent to landfills ...
These 240 million PCs could be converted to running Linux instead. :):) No need to toss them.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:02
Well, the full screen ads would be really irritating, but it seems this story overlooked a significant alternative,
That is the intention surely?
This laptop is an i7 with 16GBRAM and not good enough for Windows 11.

I have dabbled with Linus once in a while, my NAS boxes use it, my music streamers did also, but every time I have to google for a simple command, so I will always be a Windows user. :)
Also when it goes tits up, I do not have a clue where to start. :(

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:02
That is the intention surely?
This laptop is an i7 with 16GBRAM and not good enough for Windows 11.

I have dabbled with Linus once in a while, my NAS boxes use it, my music streamers did also, but every time I have to google for a simple command, so I will always be a Windows user. :)
Also when it goes tits up, I do not have a clue where to start. :(

I've been running Windows 11 on a nonsupported machine for a along while. It's no biggie, really.

Except the whole reinstall thing ;)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@AccessBlaster
TBH I cannot be bothered if they want me to jump through hoops, and seeing issues arise on Win 11 machines and Access puts me off anyway.
Right now I am having issues with Outlook 2019 here

I know it is going to take a but of time to get used to, but waht seemed easy in 2007 does not in 2019. Bearing in mind I only upgraded for the later Access version, I might well go back to 2007. ATM I get the odd email in Outlook that does not want to send, so I have to forward it and then delete the original.

Problem is in 2019 I did not get the option of selecting what I wanted to install, it was all or nothing. With 2007, you could select which programs you wanted.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
@AccessBlaster
TBH I cannot be bothered if they want me to jump through hoops, and seeing issues arise on Win 11 machines and Access puts me off anyway.
Right now I am having issues with Outlook 2019 here

I know it is going to take a but of time to get used to, but waht seemed easy in 2007 does not in 2019. Bearing in mind I only upgraded for the later Access version, I might well go back to 2007. ATM I get the odd email in Outlook that does not want to send, so I have to forward it and then delete the original.

Problem is in 2019 I did not get the option of selecting what I wanted to install, it was all or nothing. With 2007, you could select which programs you wanted.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, isn't it? I feel for those stuck on older versions of Windows because reinstalling seems like more trouble than it's worth.

To smooth things out, I rely on a couple of apps: Rufus to sidestep Microsoft's hoops and WinUtil to breeze through reinstalling essentials like Steam and Adobe Reader.

When setting up Windows, I always hit pause on updates, letting them all flood in at once, is a recipe for disaster! :D

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I found when I was working was to keep the PC off the net. reinstalling windows went a lot quicker.
Then update at a later date. :)
I must admit, when I was installing 2019 I thought 'hell I forgot to backup my Outlook accounts', but it found them all. Not sure if that included the passwords TBH as my memory is the greatest these days. :)
If I can work out how to install just Access 2019, I might just go back to 2007 for everything else.
I have been using outcmd.dat (I think it is) for over 12 years. I do not want to lose that functionality. I use that regularly.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:02
I'm on AC2021 (Ofc2021) and Win10. I didn't have any trouble there and it IS the 32-bit Office. But the package I got didn't offer me the chance to choose which members of Office to install. I don't care, I might actually use most of them... except for Teams. As I am now retired and not working from home or the office, I'm on NOBODY's teams.

I recall using Win7 longer than its EOL because I had a good A/V package that I DID keep updated. If/when this old clunker on my desk finally dies, perhaps I'll get a new machine that can run Win11. But if I happen to croak before this old beast does, perhaps it won't matter.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I have just gone back to Oulook 2007 and much happier now. :)
Well I spoke too soon. :(

Now 2007 will not send mails and I keep getting a warning about a certificate on one of my email provide accounts.

It also keeps crashing on trying to close a new message? Several repairs are unable to fix it.

So I lose all the functionality I have had access to over the last 12 years. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sometimes I hate MS with a passion.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, isn't it? I feel for those stuck on older versions of Windows because reinstalling seems like more trouble than it's worth.

To smooth things out, I rely on a couple of apps: Rufus to sidestep Microsoft's hoops and WinUtil to breeze through reinstalling essentials like Steam and Adobe Reader.

When setting up Windows, I always hit pause on updates, letting them all flood in at once, is a recipe for disaster! :D
Well you got me to thinking, and I found this

So as the PC is an i7 with 16GB I thought I would give it a go. Currently on the setting up scenario, but seems to have gone in OK.
I did back up my C drive to another disk though, just in case. :)

Just logged in.
Marvellous, shades of the 2019 Outlook debacle I had. Unable to put taskbar at the top?, without third party tools?
Just gets worse not better. :(

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Well you got me to thinking, and I found this

So as the PC is an i7 with 16GB I thought I would give it a go. Currently on the setting up scenario, but seems to have gone in OK.
I did back up my C drive to another disk though, just in case. :)

Just logged in.
Marvellous, shades of the 2019 Outlook debacle I had. Unable to put taskbar at the top?, without third party tools?
Just gets worse not better. :(
Yeah, the taskbar is fixed to the bottom center or left side only. Hopefully, you get it sorted. did you try Rufus?

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No, I followed that video and it works. I then went looking for how to move the taskbar to the top, and found a ExplorerPatcher, which did the trick.

But seriously, I have had my taskbar on all my computers since the bloody thing existed at the top. I have seen some people prefer it at one side or another. Talk about going backwards in user experience. Same with that Outlook. No one in any of the forums I have posted about that issue has responded, which only leads me to assume that it cannot be done.

For that reason I am back using Outlook 2007. Much more configurable for a user, well certainly in my case. Again I have been used to having frequently used templates and macros at hand on the QA toolbar. When I worked in Lloyds Bank, I created a outcmd.dat from my PC, that my colleagues also used, to make us more efficient. Out of the window now, if they upgrade to 2019 or later. :(

After years of taskbar at the top, I was not prepared to have it at the bottom. So up yours Microsoft!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
As you can probably tell I am very p***ed off at the moment. :)

I am going to play with 11 for a while and if I find any more crap like this, I will just go back to 10. I have a disk with the partition saved, so should be doable, but we will see if I have to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom