Wits end (1 Viewer)

iain1978

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:07
Hi,

I'm at my wits end on this one and any help you can give is appreciated.

I'm creating a Role profiling DB for my work. While making several access DB before this is by far the toughest one I've done.

I'm now stuck at this stage for what seams like months (see my previous posts). I have a form (Roleprofileform) that I want people to use to enter their details they need to perform their role within our work place. The trouble is I have no idea and nor can I find on this forum something that will help me do what I wish.

What I'm having troubles with is each distinct role will have there own distinct list of applications, mailboxes, drives and access rights. All the different items are from a pre defined list (listofapplicationrights). What I want to happen is to select what options you need from a list or drop down and on completion for the selected items to be display on the respectivie form. I have tried list boxes, combo boxes and sub form. All of which can do so much but in the end they still lead me to have problems.

All I basically want is a way for someone to select what items they need and for these selections to be saved to the form and a table so I can then produce reports.

I realise my database may be poorly designed and feel free to use it as an example of what not to do but any Advice or help would be appreciated

Failing that you can always supply ideas on how to worm my way out of doing this??

Attachments

• Role Profile.zip
    383.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:07
Took a quick look at your database. Not sure what problems you have encountered but the way I would do this is with a table that is missing from your sample:

tblRoleAssignments
RoleAssignmentID (PK Autonumber)
RoleprofileID (FK to RoleProfiles)
ApplicationrightID (FK to listofapplicationrights)

I would then have a mainform bound to the RoleProfile table and a subform bound to tblRoleAssignments linked to the main form on RoleProfileID. The subform would be set to continuous forms and would consist of a combobox to select the application right.

That should allow you to produce any reports you need.

A couple of other points. you might want to review naming conventions for Access. Its also not a good idea to use spaces in names. Also you don't need to store the number of users for a role. That should be calculated when needed and, as a general rule, we don't store calcuated values.

Last edited:

iain1978

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:07
Scotgem you are indeed a Gem.

Once I read your post it was like seeing the forrest instead of the trees.

Thanks for your input and advice.

I'm now glad this can now be put to bed by me.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom