Your favorite software or app at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:10
Just stumbled across an article early this morning. I'm trying to imagine having "just column A from Sheet1 in Book1" as a dynamic block of cells that gets embedded in other things and shares itself with others. I'm thinking of alien slime in movies.

tobanchik

Local time
Today, 16:10
I really like the Work Time software. Thanks to it, you can track your productivity. I was delighted when I started using it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:10
I really like the Work Time software. Thanks to it, you can track your productivity. I was delighted when I started using it.
First post and recommending a software package? Hmm? :unsure:

tobanchik

Local time
Today, 16:10
First post and recommending a software package? Hmm? :unsure:
I just went to the forum and saw this topic, it became interesting to read :) I also decided to recommend the program from my experience.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:10
At the moment, based on usage, my top package is MS Office - because I am using Word for my fiction-writing hobby and Access for my genealogy project. However, Word and I have a distinct love-hate relationship. Whoever designed the way that Word uses external documents is a scum-sucking dog, a real GDMFSOB who can KMNA. But other than that, it is pretty good.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:10
Whoever designed the way that Word uses external documents is a scum-sucking dog, a real GDMFSOB who can KMNA. But other than that, it is pretty good.
Don't hold back, you're amongst peers, colleagues and friends - this is a safe place. Tell us how you really feel...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm still aligned with that old adage which I can't find anymore and can't remember how to quote it.

It was a succinct and clever way of essentially emphasizing that after all these years of new shiny inventions, the utilities I still use more than any other program on my computer are paint and notepad.

This still holds true for me.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
the utilities I still use more than any other program on my computer are paint and notepad.
Reading between the lines: "blah , blah, blah...old dogs...blah, blah, blah...new tricks....blah, blah, blah..." :cool:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I bought into that for a while, until I watched other people working on their computers more often.
At that point I realized (honestly), the difference was that I am about 3x as fast at keyboarding than the average person. I can make a screenshot, clip and send it using Paint faster than most people can use their preferred snipping tool.
I also rarely use my mouse - for anything. It's all keyboard shortcuts for me.

I love new tricks - when they're actually better or faster than my old way. What I've found with most new tricks is that they're only better for a person who was much slower than me in the old way. When you keyboard @ 150 WPM, you just don't really notice any difference when someone comes out with a fancy email management tool, a new snipping tool, etc. The assumption that the new tool is better also proves to be a harmful bias. Someone may spend more time sanitizing formatted text in Excel, for example, but I can paste it in Notepad and back into excel faster than they can do their shinier toy - it's a matter of "original speed" trumping "tool-created speed". Now occasionally, I do find a tool that actually saves me time, it's just not as common as software promoters would have you think.

Ok fine, I also take some joy in proving that most new toys are only faster for slower people.

That's also how I've successfully kept myself to a 40 hr work week in many jobs. Hyper productivity.

Ouch, that was my rare brag post, I couldn't seem to help it.
OK I'm done now NG, but you directly challenged me to this duel :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ⚔️⚔️

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
about 10 days ago while cutting little shoots off the trunk of a tree with a scissors-y thing, I clipped the end-corner of my left middle finger.
a significant chunk of skin is in the process of attaching back on - enough to have my finger 100% bandaged and unable to brush against - and unable to type on it at all.
thus, my whole touch-type paradigm has changed - i'm trying to actually type with different fingers.

at first, of course, this was life-altering. i could barely eek out a sentence.

by the end of the 10 days, having actually altered which fingers i use in place of the left middle finger and holding it up during, this is my typing speed just now. in case you think i was surely exaggerating!

1638982876823.png

1638983111827.png

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
OK I'm done now NG, but you directly challenged me to this duel :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ⚔️⚔️
A little sensitive today, are we?? ;)
When you keyboard @ 150 WPM,
Impressive! If I were capable of typing that fast WITHOUT errors I would brag too. But I am the original "one-finger-Willy" so shiny new toys it is for me.

If we are dueling, I concede defeat and slink away to my corner, tail tucked and all....with my shiny toys...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
HA HA HA no, but I do tend to be sensitive to the trope that anyone who rejects shiny new toys is just an old dog who refuses to learn new tricks.
I actually think that's a common misperception and - yes, granted, I perk up when given the chance to state my opinion about it LOL

If I were really just a stodgy old dog who was slow to try valuable new things, I wouldn't have been one of the main first proponents on this site of the fact that any developer who primarily creates small apps for use in a corporate setting who has access to Power Apps had better start learning it... :)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
And now you have been able to sneak in a "flip-off" while you were at it...just have to pour the salt in while you are at it. Shameless...
LOL !! it did cross my mind, but i swear (on my pinky this time) that it wasn't my intent.........but this gives me a good old fashioned belly laugh.

Or as my dad used to say when i was little, "that's a knee-slapper!"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:10
I don't mind new tricks - if they work. I learned about Access long after my PhD work and long after taking OpenVMS system admin, operator, and security classes. I learned about ORACLE in all of that time. So those things worked OK.

Our super-sensitive backup software that worked in the presence of remote replication? I fought that tooth and nail until I managed to convince the folks (I'll withhold names to stave off lawsuits about defamation of character or defamation of intelligence) who were driving the replication that it wouldn't work with their concept. Their engineer and sales rep were with me when we attempted a replication as a dry-run of a disaster recovery. I bet them a steak dinner that it would fail with a specific error. I ate a really nice steak that evening. This old dog WILL learn new tricks - if they work.

Which is why I'm pissed at the new Microsoft trick called Windows 11. If I had a PCI backplane in this machine instead of the one it has, I would have a small server-class, time-sharing (multi-threaded) box - but it still won't run Windows 11.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Microsoft promising to stop coming out with new Windows ##, is like Joe Biden promising to stop making up provably false stories about being arrested or about Cornpop and his leg hair. It's not going to happen.

AntonioOzele

Local time
Today, 15:10
My favourite is Gyroflow. Because it is free and suitable for all types of cameras that write gyro data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom