Lost Modules - Possible corrupt DLL (1 Viewer)

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:14
Hi All

I have lost the modules in a database. When I try and open a module I get the message: “The module name is misspelled or refers to a module that doesn’t exist.”

I have tried creating a new database and importing the modules, but when I try this, I get: “The name conflicts with existing module, project or object library.”

I think I may have caused the problem when changing the name of a new module from Module1 to another name and then thinking of a better name and changing it again. Can anything be done please?

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:14
If your database isn't to big (max. 2MB) then zip it and post it here.
Else create a new database a import one module at a time.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the important thing is to get into the habit of saving versions of your database.

start with mydatabase_v1.00, then save as v1.01, v1.02 etc .

That way you will only ever lose a little bit of work.

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that. I have tried creating a new empty database and importing the modules one at a time, but when I try this, I get: “The name conflicts with existing module, project or object library.”

By the way I run Access 2013 on Windows 7, if that is relevent.

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
If your database isn't to big (max. 2MB) then zip it and post it here.
Else create a new database a import one module at a time.

Thanks for that. I have tried creating a new empty database and importing the modules one at a time, but when I try this, I get: “The name conflicts with existing module, project or object library.”

By the way I run Access 2013 on Windows 7, if that is relevent.

Clepto is online now Add to Clepto's Reputation Report Post

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:14
Are you able to open a form in design view? Or can't you open the database at all?
Without hands on the database it is difficult to help.
By the way, did you try a "Compact & Repair"?

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
Are you able to open a form in design view? Or can't you open the database at all?
Without hands on the database it is difficult to help.
By the way, did you try a "Compact & Repair"?

Yes. Everything seems normal until I make an entry into the form and it is obvious that the underlying code does not run, but I get no error message. When I go to the modules I get the error messages I posted earlier.

If I try copying the modules and pasting them I get an error saying that the “Name conflicts with existing, module, project or object library.”

I have opened a form in design view. It has a text box with an after update event procedure. In Events for the text box, the After Update event has [Event Procedure] against it but on clicking … the After Update event procedure is empty.

The modules appear listed in the side bar, as normal, but Alt F11 brings up a blank list.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Are you trying to copy the sysModules / tables into a new database? These are normally hidden and shouldn't be touched copied or looked at or you'll be turned to stone... Honest.

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
Are you trying to copy the sysModules / tables into a new database? These are normally hidden and shouldn't be touched copied or looked at or you'll be turned to stone... Honest.

No. If I move naything it is through the import export wizards.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
can you upload your database.

I appreciate it might be confidential.

I can take a look if you like - I can send you a dropbox link to let you upload to me.

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
can you upload your database.

I appreciate it might be confidential.

I can take a look if you like - I can send you a dropbox link to let you upload to me.

Sorry, but I can't do that. I am very close to talking to a Intellectual Property Lawyer, so it would be unwise to disclose anything before I have spoken to him.

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Just for clarity, are you talking about custom modules (functions and procedures) OR Class Objects (the code that runs from form event - OnClick, AfteUpdate etc) OR Both?

I ask because your use of the word "Modules" in the OP would imply the custom modules as would the fact they are visible in the side bar (navigation pane) BUT your comment about "text box with an after update event procedure" would suggest ClassObjects.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:14
You can review this and see if it is relevant to your situation.

I had a situation in the last week where a form and events were working fine. When I went to save it, I got a message that it couldn't be found. But the code for some events was being displayed on the screen. No matter what I did, I seemed to be in a circular pattern. It wasn't a large exercise, so I deleted what I had and redid it. I have had corruption in the past, but never a situation where I could see the object and Access insisted it didn't exist. It did not resolve using compact and repair.

Good luck.

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
Just for clarity, are you talking about custom modules (functions and procedures) OR Class Objects (the code that runs from form event - OnClick, AfteUpdate etc) OR Both?

I ask because your use of the word "Modules" in the OP would imply the custom modules as would the fact they are visible in the side bar (navigation pane) BUT your comment about "text box with an after update event procedure" would suggest ClassObjects.

The custom modules are visible in the navigation pane but any attempt to open them get the mesage: “The module name is misspelled or refers to a module that doesn’t exist.”

In VBA (Alt F11) the navigation pane is empty There are no links to Custom Modules or Class Modules.

Sorry for the spasmodic replies. I am usually out from 2pm until 2am.

Last edited:

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Clapton,

On IPAD so briefly ...

Make a copy of your DB.
Create a new Blank DB.
One by one import modules into the blank DB.
When it errors, import THAT module into another DB, then you can look at that
Module. It should NOT have the SAME name as any of the routines ... And there
Should be no multiple definitions within the module.

Hth,
Wayne

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Clepto,

Also, maybe from a FORMs code you could open the module collection and
Retrieve the text and put in a table or text file.

Wayne

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
Clapton,

On IPAD so briefly ...

Make a copy of your DB.
Create a new Blank DB.

Hth,
Wayne

If I try importing modules into a new database, from a copy of the corrupted database, the module names still appear in the import wizard menu, but I still get the same error error saying that the “Name conflicts with existing, module, project or object library.”

This leads me to believe that the error might have been caused when I tried to change a module name, then thought of an even better name and changed it again.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
try renaming all your modules to module1, module2, etc.

The issue might be that a module has the same name as a function with a module.

As an alternative you could try using code to iterate all your modules and export the text to text files. See if that can release the source code.

I use code in the vbide library to manage code itself.

Clepto

Registered User.
Local time
Clapton,

On IPAD so briefly ...

Make a copy of your DB.
Create a new Blank DB.

Hth,
Wayne

If I try importing modules into a new database, I get an error saying that the “Name conflicts with existing, module, project or object library.”

Any attempt at a rename is not accepted and the name immediately reverts to the old name.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:14
Are you importing the objects one at a time to narrow down which one is causing the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom