Assist taking medication please (1 Viewer)

Valery

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:26
Hi all,
I am in desperate need for an MS Access 2010 app that would calculate and set an alarm when it is time to take my medication. I am ill, bed ridden with phase 2 emphysema. The pain and/or the meds render my sleep time totally erratic. So by the time Outlook’s reminds me to take the 6’oclock meds, I haven’t taken the am ones!

I need an app that will prompt me to enter the time I got up and then recalculate the times pills should be taken for the rest of that day. I have meds to take am + pumps half hour after, noon, 6 o’clock and bed time. So each slot should be at least 4.5 hours apart or 5 hours.

IMPORTANT - I would also have to be able to have “snooze” times on the alarm – again recalculating until I click “dismiss” or other word indicating the meds were taken. Also need to have all mouse entering/selecting and not keyboard entry.

Can anyone help me?

I can no longer really assist as my memory fails and I have tendonitis in the left shoulder. It is very painful to type.

Husband and son have searched the web – they could not find any such app.

THANK YOU – GOD BLESS

[FONT=&quot]Valery[/FONT]

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Valery. Sorry to hear about your situation, but it sounds like you need a phone app for this rather than Access.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:26
If Outlook calendar and Task Scheduler are inadequate, some have developed Calendar/Appointment apps with Access. However, requirement to recalculate meds is not a trivial modification. I very much doubt will find something ready to roll and will require significant effort to program.

I like theDBguy's suggestion for a phone app. There are reminder apps available. Does one fitting your requirements exist? No idea.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I suggested a phone app would be more appropriate because the patient can easily get a reminder anywhere as compared to an Access app that has to live in a computer and therefore maybe out of reach at times. Just a thought...

Valery

Registered User.
Local time
I suggested a phone app would be more appropriate because the patient can easily get a reminder anywhere as compared to an Access app that has to live in a computer and therefore maybe out of reach at times. Just a thought...

I don't need, want or can afford one. My "normal" phone is next to my bed with large key pad numbers and 911 on speed dial.

I wish to thank everyone and anyone who answers my post. Perhaps it is way more complex for me to have asked.

Valery

Registered User.
Local time

I am bed ridden. My son's brings me meals for the day and I have a portable toilet on the other side of my bed. I am 57 and going through hell; screwing up my meds could become a reason to force me into a group home...

Sorry for the tirade, it really was not my intention. Thank you for replying.

Valery

Registered User.
Local time
If Outlook calendar and Task Scheduler are inadequate, some have developed Calendar/Appointment apps with Access. However, requirement to recalculate meds is not a trivial modification. I very much doubt will find something ready to roll and will require significant effort to program.

I like theDBguy's suggestion for a phone app. There are reminder apps available. Does one fitting your requirements exist? No idea.

Sad to hear that but had no other place to ask for help. Our own health Department doesn't have a PC app. Some watches might do it but they are very pricy. Thanks for replying.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I don't need, want or can afford one. My "normal" phone is next to my bed with large key pad numbers and 911 on speed dial.

I wish to thank everyone and anyone who answers my post. Perhaps it is way more complex for me to have asked.
Hi Valery. Let's make sure we're on the same page. Are you saying you don't have a "smart" phone (you used the term "normal")? I don't even know if there's an app for what you wanted; but if there is, I am hoping there's a free version.

Also, are you saying a computer (laptop?) is more accessible to you than a smart phone? An Access database that does what you want will probably have to be custom built. We can surely help you create one of those, but it might take some time since we only come here on our free time.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:26
IF there is a phone app, there might be someone somewhere willing to donate a used phone. Consider that there are programs for donating glasses so maybe some support group for meds takers knows where to get one. You don't need a service plan and probably don't need any connection at all to run such an app (if there is one). A phone is less likely to not be "on" compared to a pc or Access application that might get reset because of pesky Windows updates (I have taken to terminating my wifi connection at night when I remain logged on). I suppose the only thing about an app is whether or not it provides for a restart on a timer.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Micron. That's a very good idea. Cheers!

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
I see two major programming components for an Access app:

1. recalculation of medication times

2. timer and 'alarm clock'

I am not sure which is more challenging. Timers in Access are not simple.

Even an available phone app would likely need program modification for specific requirements. I have built 1 phone app, a simple word game. Nothing as sophisticated as would be required for this.

Either approach could take several months of development for even an experienced programmer.

Valery

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Valery. Let's make sure we're on the same page. Are you saying you don't have a "smart" phone (you used the term "normal")? I don't even know if there's an app for what you wanted; but if there is, I am hoping there's a free version.

Also, are you saying a computer (laptop?) is more accessible to you than a smart phone? An Access database that does what you want will probably have to be custom built. We can surely help you create one of those, but it might take some time since we only come here on our free time.

Thank you for your resume c, lol. I have a regular phone - I guess you call a land line. It is very simple, not a cordless either.

I have a faily good Desktop PC, Windows 10, fast and with much space. No laptop. I am in a single room, with my Desktop PC at the edge of my bed with 2 somewhat large monitors. That's it. Sorry, I feel I am being difficult. If no one can help... I had to try.

Valery

Registered User.
Local time
I see two major programming components for an Access app:

1. recalculation of medication times

2. timer and 'alarm clock'

I am not sure which is more challenging. Timers in Access are not simple.

Even an available phone app would likely need program modification for specific requirements. I have built 1 phone app, a simple word game. Nothing as sophisticated as would be required for this.

Either approach could take several months of development for even an experienced programmer.

Would it be easier if it was combined to Windows 10 Calendar or Outlook? Or is that worse, like more complex?

All I know, is that such an app is surely needed as many elderly are in my situation. I sincerely would rather die than move into a government Group "Home".

Valery

Registered User.
Local time
Would it be easier if it was combined to Windows 10 Calendar or Outlook? Or is that worse, like more complex?

All I know, is that such an app is surely needed as many elderly are in my situation. I sincerely would rather die than move into a government Group "Home".

yeah, all the specs you mentioned plus a snooze! Nobody will dedicate months to this for a stranger especially a non paying one. Thank you for telling it like it is - I detest false hope.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:26
Hi
As a starting point, would my Countdown Timer be any use to you?

Currently only does times up to 1 hour but that could be altered fairly easily to include hours.
Features include big display and choice of alarm sounds. Also cancel and pause buttons which might fulfil your snooze request.

It could also be adapted to include a combo for specific medications and then optionally associate each with a different alarm sound.

I realise that's not all you want but is it / could it be any help to your situation?

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
My first thought would be a phone app only to use something like a google mini.?
Once the schedule has been set, it would remind you. However it seems you would not even need that if you speak your requirements to it.?

A family member's phone could do the job, you only need the Mini to announce what meds you need to take.

Would also allow for a snooze I believe.?

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7071598?hl=en-GB

Black Friday is also coming up.?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
@Gasman, OP wants something to recalculate medication schedule based on time first medicine taken then set reminders for that revised schedule. With existing apps, I expect will have to manually calculate times and enter (typing or speaking) revised schedule which could be a daily task.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Further to my response in post #15, I have done some modifications to my CountdownTimer:
a) Added hours to the countdown time and a medication selector

b) Added alert information when countdown ends

If you think this could be useful to you, I'd be happy to modify further to try and suit your needs. I can upload later after doing bug checks.
If interested, I suggest you contact me via email using the link below to discuss changes needed/additional features

Hope that helps

Attachments

• SetAlarm.PNG
    SetAlarm.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 281
  • MedicationAlert.PNG
    MedicationAlert.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 290

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Colin. Could this be made into a GitHub project, so we can all contribute? Just a thought...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Don't see why not.
I've never set up a GitHub project but am willing to look into it.
Will wait for Valery's response before I go any further with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom