Modernizing The Microsoft Access Interface! (1 Viewer)

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Today, 13:14
This is a game changer for me; just about to update an old DB that relies on the legacy switchboard and was contemplating my options. Daniel never fails to impress... Thanks for sharing..

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:14
This is a game changer for me; just about to update an old DB that relies on the legacy switchboard and was contemplating my options.
Have you looked at any of my examples that use two of the old versions plus other takes on the concept? There's lots of layout improvements you can make. What I like is the data driven aspect that most replacements ignore.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Have you looked at any of my examples that use two of the old versions plus other takes on the concept? There's lots of layout improvements you can make. What I like is the data driven aspect that most replacements ignore.
Must have missed it Pat; have you a link please?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There's two databases. One also includes basic security. There are several variants of both the fixed list and continuous versions of the switchboard but the continuous version has been converted from macros to VBA. One of the variations uses big buttons, There is also a completely custom version that you can format however you like but which is still based on the table concept of the switchboard.

Last edited:

DickyP

Local time
It's just my opinion but personally I believe the proposed new interface looks dreadful. And who uses a switchboard anymore - far, far tooooo constricting.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
There's two databases. One also includes basic security. There are several variants of both the fixed list and continuous versions of the switchboard but the continuous version has been converted from macros to VBA. One of the variations uses big buttons, There is also a completely custom version that you can format however you like but which is still based on the table concept of the switchboard.

Hi Pat, i can see quite a lot of work has gone into that... You have made something very useful and easy to understand. Thanks for sharing.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's just my opinion but personally I believe the proposed new interface looks dreadful. And who uses a switchboard anymore - far, far tooooo constricting.
It probably depends on the application. For a company accounting type package a switchboard is easy to follow and can build a large number of options into a standard framework. There aren't menu programmes that don't have a menu driven interface of some sort.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
You would be surprised; the application i developed back in 2006 never needed updating and customers were more than happy never requested a change as it was simple to navigate... Life in the old dog yet lol

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 51

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
far, far tooooo constricting.
How is it constricting when it is data driven? You can make it look however you want it to look. The POINT is that you get to change data to rearrange it. Jason's view is very nice. Who even knows that behind the scenes lies that ugly, tiny switchboard.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
How is it constricting when it is data driven? You can make it look however you want it to look. The POINT is that you get to change data to rearrange it.
Yes, DickyP i think has not understood what has been achieved. With Daniels demo he is merely demonstrating a few examples of what can be done. There is no limit to what can be achieved as far as the looks only your imagination.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I forgot I had changed the button design and a couple of the others also. Here's the update. I updated the one in the databases also if you haven't downloaded it yet.
1717960987631.png

Attachments

• AccessSwitchboardONLY_20240609.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 07:14
Hmm, I didn't see that he was using external files for the menu.

Maybe I should post an example of how one could populate a table and have the menu items showed within Access without external HTML files.

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 07:14
It took longer than expected but hey

Anyway, I'll add support for submenus some other time, this is just a proof of concept

Attachments

• htmlmenu.accdb
    1.5 MB · Views: 49

Mike Krailo

Local time
Edgar, I tried your example but get the following error: Runtime error 5, invalid procedure call or argument:
1718021898888.png

Mike Krailo

Local time
I couldn't get any of Daniel's demo files to work at all. No errors, just no menu's as shown on his website. Does it matter what the default browser of the system is? I'm using the Brave browser on Windows 11. I wouldn't think so if it is using the internal web browser control.

I had a menu system that I was working on that looked very close to his first example that doesn't use any html. I unfortunately lost all my source files on the one and only thumb drive that had all my important files on them. It was a lot of work to get it working but the real challenge was making it flexible and easy to recreate or modify.

The individual html files do load on their own and display properly, but not from within the app.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I haven't tried any of his concepts/code yet. He did do a YouTube video (haven't watched it yet) that might me more explanatory...

Josef P.

Local time
Today, 14:14
I couldn't get any of Daniel's demo files to work at all. No errors, just no menu's as shown on his website.
The path to html files is fixed and will probably not match the storage location you are using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom