Printing only checked items (1 Viewer)

radical86

Local time
Today, 08:31
Hello all,

As I have limited knowledge of Access, this question may come across as dumb. I am trying to create an order form with a finite number of orderable items. I have these in a table. I want to be able to list them all in a form (such as a continuous form) but I also want to have a checkbox beside each item. The user then checks off what is needed, types in quantity, and then be able to print only the items that are checked.

I know forms are not designed to be "printed" but is there a better way to do this? I understand that users can use a combo box and find each item but I wanted to have something like a continuous form where they just have to check.

I hope this request makes sense.

Thank you!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:31
You would normally set up what you want printed in the form, but use a report to produce the printed output.

So your form would possibly list all your order lines and have a 0 qty against them, when you press the "Print" button you would have some code that stores the selected not 0 qty to your order details table and print a report based on that.

This wouldn't be the normal way though. Normally you would use a continuous input form and simply add the lines and quantities you needed. Listing every item by default means that as your list grows so does the time taken to scan down and select only the ones you want.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:31
I would reconsider the design. Whenever you arbitrarily fix something such as the potential items to be ordered, you open yourself up to unnecessary design changes. I'm sure you are basing the app on some old form. Why not take the opportunity to change the design to make it flexible? The more you follow good database and application design techniques, the less code and complications you have to deal with. This is not a case where limiting your options makes a job easier. Just the opposite.

Think about the form for ordering Girl Scout cookies. It changes every year. That's fine if it is just the order form that needs to be reprinted. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the application doesn't have to change every time they add or remove a type of cookie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom