Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #181
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,249 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Doc
Quote:
GET OFF THAT 97% NUMBER. You betray your closed-minded nature when blindly clinging to it.
That's a bit rich. You have quoted that 97% figure repeatedly throughout this thread. Back in post 138, I wrote:
Quote:
What is news to me is this 97% figure.
That seems to be endlessly repeated by those who oppose the vast majority of scientific research findings. It is also being recycled within this thread. Personally I don't care if it was invented by a cartoonist as the figure isn't used in the scientific community as a whole. Nor is it in general use in the UK/Europe.
In fact that figure is almost as ubiquitous in your posts as the hockey stick chart that you keep telling us isn't valid.

I have stressed repeatedly that some of the evidence is less reliable than it should be. That is true for all scientific endeavour.
It is almost inevitable for an issue as complex as this.

Finding one piece of flawed evidence does NOT mean the consensus is wrong.
However, as we all know, you believe that to be the case.

I would be more interested in you using your scientific knowledge to provide a detailed critique of the research and climate models provided by the UK Meteorological Office. See the links I provided in post 119

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 03-04-2019 at 02:23 PM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #182
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

I do believe the BBC has been monitoring my recent reading habits...

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019...climate-change

Even though it is controversial, research in this area should not be dismissed. This is especially true if the "We will all die in 12 years" crowd is to be believed.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #183
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Mark
I'll read it later but in the meantime it appears your current reading habits are all about smoke and mirrors ....

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 03-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #184
Mark_

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.

Colin,

No mirrors. Personally I don't think putting one in orbit would be a good idea.

For myself, I'd much rather see solar arrays going across the moon beaming energy down than most of the other solutions. Odds are we'd have those who complain about the reduction of nocturnal illumination though.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #185
isladogs
Part time moderator

I think you may have missed the joke....Smoke = volcanoes ; Mirrors = greenhouses

Website links:

Colin
Old 03-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #186
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,373 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Colin, in your reference to post 138, your quote doesn't seem (to me) to be an indication that I accepted the number as valid. I know where the number originated and know that it is based on statistics gathered without rigorous controls.

Quote:
I would be more interested in you using your scientific knowledge to provide a detailed critique
I have been doing that by showing faulty data control, questionable data sources, and selective but unwarranted rejection of outlier data. ALL of those are critiques of the methodology.

The most egregious example is the "hockey stick" graph because of how it has been used - as a bludgeon to indicate disaster. And yet that graph omits data, plays mathematical games, and is clearly a mixed-source chart that purports to be an accurate prediction of some dire event. Yet it is an apples-and-oranges chart for which the uninteresting part is old data and the alarmist part is all new data from an alternate source.

My critiques are of statistical methods that are impure in their application and thus INSTANTLY subject to question. Did you want me to actually look at mathematical models and find the flaws in them? My expertise doesn't extend to atmospheric modeling. It extends to the use of statistical analysis in physical-world problems. That's the best answer I can give.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #187
Mark_

Colin,

Different references then. Smoke = cloud seeding of various types (including high altitude such as volcanoes) and mirror = that half brained idea to put giant mirrors in space. Really. People thought that would be a good idea for reducing the amount of light striking the surface. Up with the idea of putting massive sun screens in orbit.

Yes, the greenhouses do work as passable mirrors, but there are those who have wanted to put ACTUAL MIRRORS in orbit. No way THAT could go wrong...

Old 03-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #188
isladogs
Part time moderator

Doc
The point I've been making is that you keep recycling the same items in numerous posts and again in many of the video clips that you keep posting.

Many of those who created the videos that you have linked also seem to make use of a very limited set of statistics and are selectively reinforcing the same points by endless repetition

I've never used the 97% figure nor have I ever used the hockey stick chart as supporting evidence. In my view its time that you moved on from both of those items.

As I previously stated, scientific research will often contain some flaws in methodology or outcomes. Not just in this area but in all areas of science.
The flaws will in many cases be minor and should not detract from the overall conclusions of that research.
However, occasionally there will be research that is significantly flawed and rightly deserves to be disregarded

I didn't expect your expertise to be such that you could critically analyse climaticalogical modelling. But that doesn't mean you should just ignore it as you appear to be doing ... in my opinion.

Mark
The trouble with jokes is that, when you have to explain them, they aren't funny ...

Website links:

Colin
Old 03-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #189
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I was going to reply to this but edited the whole thing.

Repetition of something regarding a fundamental concept that is being ignored might be a good strategy or might not. But when I post things that show that the IPCC predictive models don't predict very well, NORMALLY that would show that the model is wrong. Instead I get excuses for why they really aren't wrong - and the excuses don't work for me. So to be honest, I don't know where else to go with this.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #190
Grumm
Newly Registered User

Grumm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
Colin,

Different references then. Smoke = cloud seeding of various types (including high altitude such as volcanoes) and mirror = that half brained idea to put giant mirrors in space. Really. People thought that would be a good idea for reducing the amount of light striking the surface. Up with the idea of putting massive sun screens in orbit.

Yes, the greenhouses do work as passable mirrors, but there are those who have wanted to put ACTUAL MIRRORS in orbit. No way THAT could go wrong...
Maybe some of us want to see the beauty of the earth each morning when we look to the sky
Grumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 AM   #191
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumm View Post
Maybe some of us want to see the beauty of the earth each morning when we look to the sky
And the rarity of it, in the cosmic scale! Just think, an atmosphere, what, 100 miles thick, of which just a mile or so supports life.

I read somewhere that the coldest place in the universe was a lab somewhere on earth.

That brought my thoughts to what else on Earth is unique? Of the 100 or so elements, life, and man concoct them (and usually concoct from just 10 or so) an amazing number of things.

Cheese
Beer
Bread
Wine
Chicken tikka
Naan bread
Chow mein

Up until what, 100 years ago, many of this vast variety of food stuffs did not exist.

Now look at music! What range of variations of music exist and it seems an exhaustible some new type of music is invented regularly.

And then you have Man his self with his ability to think, you could argue that that is a rare commodity! but on the scale of the universe how rare is it actually?

All this variety coming into being at this particular time. Never before, and maybe never again!

It's enough to make an atheist religious!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #192
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's enough to make an atheist religious!
Let's not go overboard, now...
Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #193
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

I will be accused of recycling the same old arguments again and again, but I continue to wonder how the AGW crowd can look themselves in the face after these reports were made public in freakin' 2010!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-uzNBtdYOo

The fraud, data mismanagement, and unscrupulous tactics of the virulently active AGW crowd sadden me because it means that many scientists have perverted the principles on which science is based. You NEVER discard your data. You NEVER refuse to include a longer time-base in your theory if the data set is valid.

I predict I will get a comment about James Corbett in some way that is an argumentuim ad hominem attack on him. But the Climategate e-mails cannot be wished away. The ugly reality cannot be swept under the rug.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #194
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,367 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
I will be accused of recycling the same old arguments again and again, but I continue to wonder how the AGW crowd can look themselves in the face after these reports were made public in freakin' 2010!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-uzNBtdYOo
Like other denialists, Corbett misrepresents the fact of the supposed scandal. His claims have been well and truly rebuked as any intelligent analysis would reveal.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Cli...ils-hacked.htm

Unfortunately Doc isn't interested in intelligent analysis and glibly posts anything that he hopes might back his ignorant prejudice. Clearly pretty desperate resorting to digging up decade old nonsense.

Of course he never acknowledges when he is shown to be wrong. Like when he falsely claimed that our hominid ancestors evolved at a time when carbon dioxide levels were higher than they are today. Shot down in flames but he never acknowledged he was wrong and had simply repeated the lies posted by his denialist heroes as he continues to do now.

Such is the nature of those inflicted with Dunning Kruger Effect.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #195
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

G, we must agree to disagree. You say the claims were rebuked. However, like the game of poker, "the cards speak for themselves."

As to the Dunning-Kruger effect, thank you very much for yet ANOTHER ad hominem attack. Such replies are common among those whose near-religious frenzy over a favorite topic admits no dissenters.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: