#Error on Sum of bound field on subform (1 Viewer)

bigrods

Local time
Today, 11:26
Hi,

I was hoping someone could please help:

I'm trying to create a Sum on my subform in order to caclulate on my main form, but I'm getting #Error on the subform field

My Sum field control source is set as: =Sum([txtIknowLoads])

The field I'm trying to Sum is:
Name: txtIKnowLoads
Control Source: I_Know_Loads_1

The subform is based on an SQL query:
Code:
SELECT 
firstset.Student_Name AS Name, 
firstset.I_Know_Loads AS [I_Know_Loads_1], 
firstset.Clinics AS Clinics, 
firstset.Contraception AS Contraception, 
firstset.[Viral / Bacterial] AS [Viral / Bacterial], 
firstset.[Total Score] AS [Lesson 1 Score], 
secondset.I_Know_Loads AS [I_Know_Loads_5], 
secondset.Clinics AS [Clinics 5], 
secondset.Contraception AS [Contraception 5], 
secondset.[Viral / Bacterial] AS [Viral / Bacterial 5], 
secondset.[Total Score] AS [Lesson 5 Score], 
(secondset.[Total Score]-firstset.[Total Score]) AS Progress
FROM 
(
SELECT tbl_Student.Student_ID, Student_Name, [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_Name], I_Know_Loads, Clinics, Contraception, [Viral / Bacterial], sum([Clinics]+[Contraception]+[Viral / Bacterial])*10 AS [Total Score] FROM tbl_Student, tbl_Assessment, tbl_Year, tbl_Location, tbl_Lesson, [tbl_Co-Ordinator] WHERE tbl_Student.Student_ID = tbl_Assessment.Student_ID and tbl_Location.Location_ID = tbl_Student.Location_ID and tbl_Lesson.Lesson_ID = tbl_Assessment.Lesson_No and [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_ID] = tbl_Assessment.[Co-Ordinator_ID] and tbl_Year.Year_ID = tbl_Assessment.Year_ID and tbl_Year.Year_Desc = [forms]![frm_View_Data]![cmbYear] and tbl_Location.Location_Name = [forms]![frm_View_Data]![cmbLocation] and tbl_Lesson.Lesson_Desc = 'Lesson 1' and [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_Name] = [forms]![frm_View_Data]![cmbCo-Ordinator] GROUP BY tbl_Student.Student_ID, [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_Name], Student_Name, I_Know_Loads, Clinics, Contraception, [Viral / Bacterial]
)  
AS 
firstset 
LEFT JOIN 
(
SELECT 
tbl_Student.Student_ID, Student_Name, [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_Name], I_Know_Loads, Clinics, Contraception, [Viral / Bacterial], sum([Clinics]+[Contraception]+[Viral / Bacterial])*10 AS [Total Score] FROM tbl_Student, tbl_Assessment, tbl_Year, tbl_Location, tbl_Lesson, [tbl_Co-Ordinator] WHERE tbl_Student.Student_ID = tbl_Assessment.Student_ID and tbl_Location.Location_ID = tbl_Student.Location_ID and tbl_Lesson.Lesson_ID = tbl_Assessment.Lesson_No and [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_ID] = tbl_Assessment.[Co-Ordinator_ID] and tbl_Year.Year_ID = tbl_Assessment.Year_ID and tbl_Year.Year_Desc = [forms]![frm_View_Data]![cmbYear] and tbl_Location.Location_Name = [forms]![frm_View_Data]![cmbLocation] and tbl_Lesson.Lesson_Desc = 'Lesson 5' and [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_Name] = [forms]![frm_View_Data]![cmbCo-Ordinator] GROUP BY tbl_student.Student_ID, [tbl_Co-Ordinator].[Co-Ordinator_Name], Student_Name, I_Know_Loads, Clinics, Contraception, [Viral / Bacterial]
)  
AS 
secondset 
ON firstset.Student_ID = secondset.Student_ID
GROUP BY firstset.Student_Name, firstset.I_Know_Loads, firstset.Clinics, firstset.Contraception, firstset.[Viral / Bacterial], firstset.[Total Score], secondset.I_Know_Loads, secondset.Clinics, secondset.Contraception, secondset.[Viral / Bacterial], secondset.[Total Score], (secondset.[Total Score]-firstset.[Total Score]), firstset.Student_ID
ORDER BY firstset.Student_ID;
I have done a Compact & Repair on the database but to no avail

I would be very greatful for any assistance!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:26
You can't sum a control, only fields. Try

=Sum(I_Know_Loads_1)

bigrods

Local time
You can't sum a control, only fields. Try

=Sum(I_Know_Loads_1)

Thanks Paul, sorry I meant to put - I've tried both the field and the control.
Tried it again just now using =SUM(I_Know_Loads_1) and still getting #Error.

EDIT: I've also added =SUM text boxes for the other fields (Clinics, Contraception, Viral/Bacterial) to test them and getting #Error on those as well.

I wondered if it was something to do with the SQL query but the data dispays fine so I don't think it's that.

Last edited:

bigrods

Local time
It works!

As well as the Sum boxes, I had another text box that tried to calculate an average based on the sums.
This was pointing to a control, rather than a field. I amended that, and my Sum boxes are now working!

Thanks for the replies :)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:26
Happy to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom