Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #226
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,255 Times in 2,082 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

There have been a lot of comments in this lengthy thread that I have disagreed with. However the next 2 comments are I believe reprehensible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessBlaster View Post
The big threat is how the left weaponize children. They can't seem to get their agenda passed using adults.
Quote:
The Klan and white supremacy represents a tiny fraction of society. The classroom on the other hand represents about 99% of political indoctrination of children mostly run by democrats, pushing their kooky theories.
After 37 years in education in a wide variety of UK schools, both as a Science/ICT teacher and for the final 12 years as a senior school manager, I think I know a bit about this particular subject. Rarely have I heard such dangerous uninformed nonsense as that espoused in the above two quotes.

There are of course teachers of all political persuasions from extreme left to extreme right though most would be roughly in the political centre. Whatever their views, very few will make those views known to students.

However, schools as institutions, are in general basically 'conservative'. By that I don't mean they are right wing. Nor are they left wing. What I do mean is that there is no agenda either overt or hidden to change the nature or structure of society.

On the extremely rare occasions that schools do shift away from the middle ground, a series of checks and balances come into place to counteract that.
There have been occasional issues e.g. with faith schools of different religions pushing an intolerant viewpoint
The last time a school had a radical left wing agenda in the UK was the White Lion School back in 1973. It was closed down.

What schools are expected to do, at least in the UK, is to ensure students are informed about important world issues, are made aware of the evidence available and of differing opinions that exist on those issues. They are encouraged to make up their own minds and to respect the different opinions held by others. A tiny minority will become activists for a particular cause because they feel strongly about an issue. How can anyone suggest that is due to political indoctrination and expect to be taken seriously?

If the next generation become more open minded and show fewer prejudices than their parents & grandparents that is a good thing. Amongst many other things, the deeply held prejudices shown in this lengthy thread has certainly indicated that there is a need for society to become more tolerant.

In that respect, perhaps I agree with Uncle Gizmo's comments in the last post ... though not with all of his opinions about JP. That certainly doesn't mean I'm right & he is wrong.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #227
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
There have been a lot of comments in this lengthy thread that I have disagreed with. However the next 2 comments are I believe reprehensible
You know whats really reprehensible when the left in this country use kids as a political tool, that is the definition reprehensible. "Mommy stop using styrofoam cups your killing the polar bears." Or scaring toddlers into thinking they have only 12 years to live.

Ever notice when a teacher goes on strike and walks the picket line, the first thing out of their mouth is "its for the kids." Now that's reprehensible. Just be honest and say you want the raise because you earned it. Stop scaring little Johnny with your paranoid psychosis.

Teachers in this country need to stay on message, reading writing and arithmetic. That's it! Leave your BS at home.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #228
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,255 Times in 2,082 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

AB
Well clearly my lengthy reply had absolutely no impact on yourself.

Do you have a more relevant background in education than mine?
If so, you should perhaps be able to justify your prejudices about the left with some actual facts.

There is a lot more to education than reading writing and arithmetic, vitally important though each of those are.

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #229
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
AB
Well clearly my lengthy reply had absolutely no impact on yourself.

Do you have a more relevant background in education than mine?
If so, you should perhaps be able to justify your prejudices about the left with some actual facts.

There is a lot more to education than reading writing and arithmetic, vitally important though each of those are.
Colin,

I will concede that you have a superior education, your writing skills are unmatched. I suspect your resume is flawless. You even have the snarky comments i have come to admire in the educators and administrators I cross paths with on daily basis. So congratulations to you Colin, well done!
Old Today, 06:20 PM   #230
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Colin,

I shall guess that AB isn't in the UK and may have a differing experience. The problem with talking about education systems is that they differ considerably from country to country. Talking about how educational institutions push an agenda or not requires that all participants talk about the same system at the same time.

I don't think he's calling in to question the UK system, more likely the American system that does have a very heavy "Left" bent in university levels. Some, such as UC Berkeley, are well known for being overtly "Left" while others are known for their "Right" bent.

ABs comments would be more understandable if he specified which educational system he is talking about.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:08 PM   #231
AccessBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post

ABs comments would be more understandable if he specified which educational system he is talking about.
True, but what fun would that be? I donít pretend to argue on an intellectual level.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: