"thread viewed by" ? (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 22:56
The reputation system could never be considered as defamation. It's entirely based on the givers opinion of the receiver's post. I would hope that opinions are considered free speech. The giver isn't stating anything untrue as fact, just giving (or taking) points.

I also don't like the reputation system. I have found it to only cause undue problems on other forums I've been a member of, even between friends.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Today, 12:56
i've changed that part of my signature to something much more useful - a few links about "normalisation"... ;)

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
>>I would hope that opinions are considered free speech.<<

I don’t think there really is any such thing as free speech and that is why I think we have courts to decide on such matters. In fact, in some countries, a statement as to the required outcome of a court may be seen as contempt of that court if the judge so finds. In the long run I think it is better not to make statements as to the legality or not of a situation and simply leave it up to those qualified namely, the judges.

>>The giver isn't stating anything untrue as fact, just giving (or taking) points.<<

That may or may not be true but it does have another side to it. The taking of points can force a change of mouse over comment. One such comment is: -

“Subject Name has a little shameless behaviour in the past”

Is that an opinion or is it a statement of fact?
If it’s a statement of fact then who made the statement?
The person giving the negative reputation didn’t, they have no control over the wording.
But someone is responsible for the wording and also for the fact that it’s there and continues to be there.

So if a judge finds that statement defamatory who would be held responsible?
Would it be the site owner, one of his agents or perhaps someone else again?

Why take the risk?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 19:56
But someone is responsible for the wording and also for the fact that it’s there and continues to be there.
That is the default for the vBulletin Software. It can be changed by the site owner/Admin but in this case it would appear it hasn't been.
Why take the risk?
Why do anything risky? Why skydive? You might die. Why get in a car? You might die. Why get in an elevator? You might die. Why eat food? You might die from food poisoning. So, why in the world do anything? Everything has risk and it is pointless to get worried about a forum getting slapped with some judgement because someone didn't like the reputation. If they didn't like the system, why participate? It is getting so bad these days that manufacturers of products have to put labels on their products stating the obvious so people won't sue. But you know what? They still DO.

So, the bandwagon now is to not offend anyone. So by going so far to not offend anyone, we actually do.

I'm off my soap box now.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
>>Why do anything risky?<<
I think the real question is; why take needles risks?

Skydivers generally take a parachute, not doing so severely limits their time in the sport.
People in cars generally wear seatbelts and cars generally have airbags.
Elevators have safety built in and are probably safer than the stairs.
When you eat you might die of food poising but the alternative is guaranteed.

>>That is the default for the vBulletin Software. It can be changed by the site owner/Admin but in this case it would appear it hasn't been.<<
That is really my point.
Why would the person, who may be responsible, not take the appropriate action to reduce the risk?

>>So, the bandwagon now is to not offend anyone. So by going so far to not offend anyone, we actually do.<<
That could be true.
I think, but don’t know, that I was ‘Utterly Banned’ from UA for saying “You’re welcome”

BTW.
I dislike the motion of your avatar, but that’s just personal opinion.
If it was in a database I think you would agree that motion, blinking or whatever, should be avoided or reduced.
But there it is, rolling around and I have to hit the Escape key every time I see it.
You might owe me a new Escape key. :D

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 21:56
could be a silly idea, but: maybe a link to "thread viewed by" and then a list of users who have been to the thread (and when)? similar to when you go to someone's profile and you can see "current activity"....

not really ALL that useful, but interesting and useful in some situations (like if you think someone would know a solution but they've visited the thread and not left a reply? maybe?) but probably not hard to implement?

not a bad idea really Wik, but in this guy's opinion, might be hard to implement. and plus, with busy schedules everybody has, the usefullness of it I question because people may not even have the time to make use of it, or rather would totally forget to even use it. ya know?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
So, the bandwagon now is to not offend anyone. So by going so far to not offend anyone, we actually do.
This country has dropped to its knees because the "political correctness" has taken over people's passion for making it in the world. The day that noone is offended by another person's presence is the day that capitalism and business completely dies.

Local time
not a bad idea really Wik, but in this guy's opinion, might be hard to implement. and plus, with busy schedules everybody has, the usefullness of it I question because people may not even have the time to make use of it, or rather would totally forget to even use it. ya know?

Well, I'm sure the trolls could use it to tell when people are doing what online so they can make false statements about that person's online activities (another online stalking tool).

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Well, I'm sure the trolls could use it to tell when people are doing what online so they can make false statements about that person's online activities (another online stalking tool).

are you talking about idiots like marleymanner, george?

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time

you know, five years ago i would have said "bollocks!" to that statement. "who would be so nuts?"...

then i met my ex. now my belief is not only would that totally happen, but could go even further (don't ask me how - find someone who's violently insane and misplaced their meds).

the good thing about my original question is that it was just a thought - it's not something that has to happen and, i assume, will not happen. sorry to get people's stress levels up - i tend to really only think of the innocent and honest exploits of such a system!

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:56
are you talking about idiots like marleymanner, george?
Would you like a longer list of idiots frequenting the site?:confused:
Anyway the only people likely to be offended by by black marks are those whose vanity depend upon good marks:rolleyes:

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Would you like a longer list of idiots frequenting the site?:confused:
Anyway the only people likely to be offended by by black marks are those whose vanity depend upon good marks:rolleyes:

congrats on hitting the 20,000 post mark rich. I remember your last count. It was unreal how much BS you can put out :rolleyes:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:56
congrats on hitting the 20,000 post mark rich. I remember your last count. It was unreal how much BS you can put out :rolleyes:
It surpased that figure years ago, funny how Americans tag the truth as bullshit eh:rolleyes:

Local time
you know, five years ago i would have said "bollocks!" to that statement. "who would be so nuts?"...

As astounding as this seems, there is a regular poster who frequently complains that another regular poster hangs out in the "Who's Online" section so that person can answer technical questions more quickly. Odd thing about that is, you have to hang out in "Who's Online" to see who is hanging out in "Who's Online" to see that they're doing something you can troll about, which is stalking behavior. Why give somebody more stalking tools?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom