Using labels to write permanent paragraphs? (1 Viewer)

Newbie8

Banned
Local time
Today, 11:03
I have several permanent paragraphs written inside a label. In random areas not all words are showing. My label is wide enough to accommodate everything. I am assuming, I am using the wrong to tool to write permanent paragraph.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Are you talking about labels on an Access report?

Newbie8

Banned
Local time
No, on a form.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:03
Your explanation isn't clear. If you want some extended text to be permanently saved, you need to use a textbox and a memo/long text field

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:03
Text in a label or UNBOUND textbox can be 'permanent'. Words not showing doesn't make sense. Show example of this text and/or images and/or attach db for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Newbie8

Banned
Local time
I am basically to have a permanent message part of a form with bullet points and numbering. For example when you visit there a disclaimer at the bottom of page.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Might be easiest to write this in Word then save as an image and display image on form or report.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:03
My label is wide enough to accommodate everything.
But is it tall enough?
I am assuming, I am using the wrong to tool to write permanent paragraph.
Which is what? You are probably using the wrong type of control. You are adding text to a label in design view, saving it and parts are missing?
message part of a form with bullet points and numbering.
Sounds like you are trying to insert rtf type formatting in a label, which AFAIK, you cannot. You can with a textbox though, and make it look like a label.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Using an unbound textbox set for RichText for this would mean manually typing an expression in ControlSource property with text and HTML code tags:

="Test bold format <b>Text</b>"

Figuring out the HTML tags for your formatting with bullet points and indentation and line returns would be the challenge. Hence, my suggestion for an image.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
If you want richtext simply build a table of messages with two fields. Make the message a memo and select rich text. Type in your messages and apply formatting.

tblMessages
messageName
On the form add a function
Code:
Private Function GetMessage(msgName As String) As String
  GetMessage = DLookup("Message", "tblMessages", "MessageName = '" & msgName & "'")
End Function

Now add some unbound text boxes and set to rich text

for the control source of the unbound text box do something like
=GetMessage('TheMessageName')

format the textboxes to be like labels.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Or DLookup() can be directly in textbox ControlSource.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Or DLookup() can be directly in textbox ControlSource
The UDF is not needed, but I doubt many people can get the syntax correct directly in the control source. Lots of apostrophes and concatenation. The UDF makes it a lot easier to debug and reuse the code.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 13:03
I prefer to handle this with a simple select query to get the data stored in a table.

I like o use a table to store the text as MajP recommended.

I use a form to maintain the Rich Text data. You can use Access's built-in support for the Rich Text editing.

I prefer to use a subform to display the data. Using a basic select query to get the desired record.

With a subform/subreport, adding the same text on another form or on a report is very easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom