MS Access 97 Crashing (1 Viewer)

shatteras

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:51
I forgot it's 97,. anyway, if I'm not mistaken you can see it from "tools", "general", I think,.. then there are checkboxes there like "macro protection" or "macro virus protection" ...

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 02:51
Sorry by bugging you, but did you try the import?
If you don't have to much sensitive information in your database, you could zip it and post it here, but the limit is 2MB.

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:51
Hi arnelgp,
That appears to have worked..mate, you are brilliant. Thank you. I've successfully opened an old copy of the database and have access to everything. Now, where do I go from here. Should I simply continue as if there is not a problem now?
Regards
Keith

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:51
firstly, you should create a backup of the fixed db in case anything goes wrong again.
secondly on your working copy, you may again compile your code on vbe.

AverageAdultGeek

Local time
Yesterday, 20:51
My company is having the same exact problems and it's not just with access 97 or one particular database. It all started yesterday morning with two different databases using Access 2007. Those users are at our main headquarters. The second instance we had was at one of our satellite locations in a different state that isn't using a split database. That user is using Access 97.
This morning I came into work and have been informed by two more users that they are having the same problem. Yet their databases worked fine yesterday.

The Access 2007 was fixed by upgrading their copies of Office to 2016. Then every thing opened and worked fine. We are now in the process of upgrading the 97 databases to newer versions of Access.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:51
AC97 didn't use trust center, it used MDAC, which is a totally deprecated module. That allowed it to do internal object ownership and permissions. Since maybe AC2003 that has been a declining feature. Now, 19 years after that version of Access, it is not only possible that Microsoft didn't consider the effect of a security change, but probably doesn't have that many people left who REMEMBER the care and feeding of MDAC.

What version of Windows are you running?

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Good morning arnelgp,
The Access program I'm using is for my golf club. However I'm at home and using my laptop to work on a copy of the golf club file now called Decompile. To transfer this file to the club I used Dropbox. Then remoted in and accessed Dropbox and opened the file - it crashed as before. Tried attaching the file in an email but Outlook prevented this as it was regarded as unsafe.
Also if I remote in and decompile the file it crashes. Any thoughts?
Until I go to the club in the next couple of days and try the decompile on site I wont know if its successful...I guess there's no reason to assume it wont be as it worked OK here at home.
Regards
Keith

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do a Repair install on Access at the club.

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Galaxiom,
Do you mean: Go to Tools/Database Utilities/Repair Database?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Control Panel > Programs and Features >

Choose the Office install, it varies with versions. Repair install is one of the options.

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately my version (old) of Access 97 not seen in the programs list in control panel either on my laptop or the club server - both Windows 7.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:51
It might be listed under MSOffice Professionsal

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:51
I haven't read the whole thread, but my understanding was that A97 would not work under W7, although others have said it still can run. I expect W10 will be even more problematic.

That caused me to finally move to A2003 from A97. There isn't much difference to be honest, except the database window layout changed round.

Maybe the easiest way is to upgrade the A97 databases.

JKE

Local time
I have read the thread and I have the similar problem but with the slightly newer software. I use Office 2000 and Access along with Windows 8 or 8.1. (Not sure.)

After the Windows Update, the other day, my copy stopped to work as well.

I tried to open the file itself with OpenOffice. It was sort of working... Not really. That office also crashed after some time.

I tried LibreOffice. The same result!!
"The database binding could not be found."
It was not possible to load the selected database.

So! I tried to repair or to install Office 2000 again but that part also failed, because some driver were missing!

I think Microsoft deleted some vital parts in the Windows Update dated May 10.

I don't have any macros. I'm a web developer and I use Access as database in my web projects. On my web sites.

JKE

Local time
Wow!!
All is now working as before!!

How strange is that!?
Maybe I'm wrong... But Access has been running for some time now.
I'd need to do some more testing and working.... But Keith166 please try your Access and write if the error remains!

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Arnelgp,
Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for what must have seemed to you a simple fix to my problem. However when the system went down here, 'down under', no one I contacted had a clue, amateurs or professionals.
I am now looking to have the database program rebuilt and am happy to talk to someone who might be in a position to do this for a price. I'm located in Melbourne Australia.
My very very best regards
Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom