Link PDFs and other docs to database (1 Viewer)

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:06
I would like to attach several different PDFs to a main record. From what I’ve read it’s always best to link as opposed to truly attach. Although I keep reading “link don’t attach” I’m not sure how you do it. My goal is to have a sub form that has a way of opening a file browser to locate a document and once selected have that document show up in a list or a data sheet on the sub form. I then want to be able to click on the document and have it open in its native program (already found a module for that). Any advice on how to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlan

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:06
This is a very general question, please point out your difficulty:
creating the sub-form?
opening the file dialog?
saving the link?
some other issue?

Please point what you have tried.

ATB

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:06
Just a simple idea

Attachments

• Docu.zip
    33.2 KB · Views: 122

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
I have been able to implement what arnelgp shared above but was wondering if anyone knows of a way, or if its possible, to add a button on the form to somehow bring up the Windows built in scanner and have it automatically direct the document to be scanned into the appropriate folder so it can be linked into the DB accordingly. An added bonus would be if it not only saves it where it needs to be following the scan but also links it into the DB as well.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:06
You can use the Shell command to open any external program from Access.
You just need to know the file name and path.

Do a forum or google search. You will get lots of results

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:06
I have an application that logs scanned documents. The key to the process is how the documents are named. The application does benefits audits for multiple companies. The scanned files must be named in the format
companyID_ClientID_somethingunique.extension

All the scanned documents are loaded into a single folder. The app reads the names of the files and if the companyid is valid and the clientID is valid, moves the document from the bulk scanning folder to the companyID folder and logs the file name. If either the companyID or clientID are not valid or the file name is a duplicate, the file is moved to the error folder for reprocessing.

Is that something like what you envision?

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
I have an application that logs scanned documents. The key to the process is how the documents are named. The application does benefits audits for multiple companies. The scanned files must be named in the format
companyID_ClientID_somethingunique.extension

All the scanned documents are loaded into a single folder. The app reads the names of the files and if the companyid is valid and the clientID is valid, moves the document from the bulk scanning folder to the companyID folder and logs the file name. If either the companyID or clientID are not valid or the file name is a duplicate, the file is moved to the error folder for reprocessing.

Is that something like what you envision?

That’s part of what I’m envisioning. The problem is that I’m using this for a school system and will, in the end, be linking items to both students, which would be easy by their district ID#, and staff, which would be much harder since We dint have easy access to employee #. What I would ice to do would be to have something like what you just described but somehow integrate a button onto a form where it executes a scan and then comes up with a prompt to provide the “something unique” for your system to work. That way it’s a little dummy proof and I’m not relying on my coworkers (who are not tech savvy at all) to be able to enter the file name in the correct sequence/with the correct IDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:06
The process works for my clients because We include a page for scanning in all the requests that get sent to the employees and ask that the scanning page be included with whatever they return. Most people comply so the scanning operator can easily name the files correctly.

The scanning and importing are done separately. All the scanning is done by a fulfillment house that handles received mail. They scan the documents and name the files. Every day, the client goes to an FTP site and downloads all the scanned documents. Then the Access app, reads the downloaded folder and based on the format of the file name, moves the scanned document to a different folder, logs the document name to an application table, and deletes it from the source folder.

Although you can have Access run the scanner by using the Shell command, I wouldn't do it. It would be more efficient to open the mail and scan all the documents. THEN run the Access code to log them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom