Accessing SQL from desktop via php? (1 Viewer)

Chrisopia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:49
My server provider is telling me that my server is Linux and I would have to upgrade to windows to be able to connect my database to the SQL...

so i figured, if there was a middle man who could collect the information and pass it along?

Is there an add on of sorts to allow access to behave this way?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:49
Use MySQL on Linux instead of MS SQL Server.

Changing form Linux to Windows is not an "upgrade". It is just different.

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 03:49
What in the world are you trying to accomplish? I read your post and see a mish-mash of terms / jargon which do not appear to fit together into a picture.

Sometimes hosting providers block remote connections to the database servers, insist that the webserver itself be the only thing able to attach to the database server.

mdlueck

Local time
Yeah? Come back and tell me about it when you have installed Access on Linux.

The discussion was focused on a hosted platform Linux vs Windows, not desktop / Access related what so ever. :confused:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:49
There are plenty of ASP based web servers happily running uninterrupted for very, very long periods.

I administer both Windows and Linux servers. Like I said, "different".

Chrisopia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:49
I do not want to change the server, as I also use it for WP, which apparently prefers Linux to run...

I would also prefer to avoid an extra subscription to a windows server to run it. the windows version of the server runs through ASP.NET, to connect to access via OCDB.

Currently, all my server says is it cannot connect via OCDB - and they say its because I'm on linux and not windows.

Is there an alternative to OCDB??

mdlueck

Local time
Currently, all my server says is it cannot connect via OCDB - and they say its because I'm on linux and not windows.

No, it is not "because you are on Linux instead of Windows".

MySQL can be configured hardened such that it will not listen for connections on the IP address of your website. In this mode, it only listens for connections on the server loop back address: 127.0.0.1 In this configuration, Apache webserver may still contact it via the loop back address while all connections coming from the public network interface are not possible as MySQL is not listening for possible connections from that interface.

Perhaps even Windows servers may have their SQL daemon reconfigured in a similar way.

Is there an alternative to OCDB??

Not for creating a remote connection to a Windows client machine.

The best I could think of is if perhaps they have PHPMyAdmin installed and you could gain access to the database from the remote Windows client machine through the web browser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom